From Nick Williams <nicho...@nicholaswilliams.net>
Subject Re: log4j2 and Hibernate
Date Fri, 14 Feb 2014 19:02:29 GMT
Oh. Gotchya. It's been so long since I've used ANCIENT Hibernate I had forgotten. ;-) ...

So you have the log4j-slf4-impl artifact on your classpath then? Which version of Log4j 2
are you using? What does your Log4j config file look like? Can you take a thread dump when
it "hangs" and pinpoint the source of the deadlock? Have you also posted in the Hibernate
forums (I would recommend this) and, if so, did you learn anything there?

The first thing I know to tell you off the top of my head (without more information) is to
AT LEAST upgrade to Hibernate 3.6.10.Final, which is two years old. The version you're using
is four years old and MANY bugs have been fixed since then. To be clear, the Hibernate 3.x
line isn't supported anymore, so you really should upgrade to 4.x.

Nick

On Feb 14, 2014, at 12:45 PM, Michael Friedmann wrote:

> Nick,
>
> To my knowledge, Hibernate does not use JBoss logging until version 4.x and we're using
Hibernate 3.x, so JBoss logging is not on our classpath.  Am I mistaken?

> Michael

 Whenever 'showSql' is set to true, this seems to cause the application to hang (deadlock?)
- needless to say without displaying any native SQL logging.  Anyone else run into this issue?
 We need to be able to display Hibernate's native SQL logging at times, so permanently turning
this off is not really an option.