From Kireet <kir...@feedly.com>
Subject Re: rolling in log4j2
Date Sun, 02 Feb 2014 03:13:10 GMT
That wouldn't be ideal for me as I have several different log files
being produced in the same directory, but I do see how it would get
pretty complicated to pattern match old files to delete selectively. I
could separate things by folder I guess. What about at least filtering
the files by everything up until the first pattern? E.g. for the below
"app-%d{yyyy-MM-dd}.%i.log", what about only deleting files that start
with app- and are older than the maxAge?

On 2/1/14 6:59 PM, Remko Popma wrote:
> Agreed that this seems a common use case. Looking at the
> LOG4J2-435<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-435> ticket,
> you're now the third person asking for this feature...
>
> Team, what about adding a maxAge attribute to DefaultRolloverStrategy? The
> attribute would accept values like "3d" (delete older than 3 days),
> similarly "4w" (4 weeks), "5M" (5 months) etc.
> The scanned directory would be the parent dir of the rolled over file
> specified by the {{filePattern}} attribute, and any file in that directory
> would be candidates for deletion.
>
> Thoughts?
>

> On Sunday, February 2, 2014, Arkin Yetis <arkinyetis@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I had opened the following for this:
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-435
>> Perhaps you can see if this would meet your need and vote for/watch it, if
>> it does.
>>

>> On Sat, Feb 1, 2014 at 11:39 AM, Kireet <kireet@feedly.com <javascript:;>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for the update. So I would need to use an external process to
>> clean
>>> up older files? This seems like a pretty common use case though right?

>> be

>> want
Does