From "Zabicki Roman (HERE/Chicago)" <roman.zabi...@here.com>
Subject RE: configuring a non-core appender in log4j2
Date Fri, 21 Mar 2014 22:25:12 GMT
"when I build" -- you've described the problem exactly. I'm building with maven, and we combine
all of our classes and all the classes from the jars we're dependent on into one single jar.
This single jar can, of course, only have 1 Log4j2Plugin.dat. I have to stick with this build/deployment
strategy. I can't deploy multiple jars. So I will use the packages attribute and let you know
on Monday how it goes. Thanks for pointing that out. I had read that page before, but I didn't
get it.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ralph Goers [mailto:ralph.goers@dslextreme.com]
Sent: Friday, March 21, 2014 3:56 PM
To: Log4J Users List
Subject: Re: configuring a non-core appender in log4j2

If the log4j flume jar is in the class path it should automatically be included as it has
its own Log4j2Plugin.dat file.   However, you can always manually cause plugins to be located
by specifying the packages attribute - see http://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/manual/configuration.html#XML.

Again though, if it is not automatically finding the Flume Appender then there is either something
wrong in your configuration or the log4j-flume-ng jar is not in the classpath.

I'm curious though - when you say "when I build" what exactly are you building?  You cannot
build a new jar that includes the contents of log4j-core.jar and the contents of other jars
that also have plugins as each has their own Log4j2Plugin.dat and only one of them will wind
up in your new jar.  To do that, yes you would have to run the PluginManager against the contents
of your new jar to generate your own custom Log4j2Plugin.dat.  However, doing that is not
recommended.  We recommend that you leave the Log4j jars alone and include them in your classpath.

Ralph

flume appender. (http://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/log4j-flume-ng/)

> When I build, I wind up with the Log4j2Plugins.dat from log4j, which doesn't have support
for the flume appender, so I can't register the flume appender in my log4j2.xml. It seems
that there's no way to register custom appender classes just via log4j2.xml, and instead I
have to use PluginManager to register the \org\apache\logging\log4j\core\config\plugins\Log4j2Plugin.dat.
I can't find any examples of how to do this, let alone examples of how to automate this in
a build.

> Is it possible to register a custom appender class solely through log4j2.xml, or do I
need to go through the PluginManager? Whatever the answer, can someone show me an example?
I'm particularly interested in how to automate this in a build.