logging-log4j-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Remko Popma <remko.po...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: log4j.properties gets loaded twice causing rollling to fail
Date Fri, 11 Jul 2014 03:49:32 GMT
Hi,

Is it possible for you to switch to log4j2? All our effort is currently focussed on log4j2.


Best regards,
Remko

Sent from my iPhone

> On 2014/07/11, at 12:16, guowei <geraldlsg@yahoo.com.sg> wrote:
> 
> Dear all,
> 
> I am using log4j for tomcat internal logging and also application logging.
> 
> I followed Tomcat's instruction to configure log4j rolling and I also have configured
my application to have its own log4j rolling.
> 
> log4j.jar is in both Tomcat's lib and web application's lib, each have their respective
log4j.properties
> 
> I enabled -Dlog4j.debug and I can see the sequence of the events
> 
> 1) log4j.properties for the tomcat gets loaded by Tomcat's StandardClassLoader
> 2) the same log4j.properties for tomcat gets loaded by the Tomcat's WebappClassLoader
> 3) application's log4j.properties is loaded
> 
> Between 1) and 2) I can see the tomcat files being rolled ( I intentionally set DailyRollingAppender
to yyyy-MM-dd-HH-mm and DEBUG level to make sure lots of things gets logged). Rolling was
working well. Files were rolled on the minute
> 
> However, when step 2) kicks in, the rolling of tomcat files failed. 
> I reckon that the moment the the same log4j.properties is loaded, there is a conflict
since the same appenders are referred twice.
> I am not certain has it anything to do with the tomcat's log4j configuration or appliation's
log4j configuration. The Application's log files are rolled correctly.
> Would appreciate if anyone can enlighten me.
> 
> -----Dlog4j.debug output----
> log4j: Trying to find [log4j.xml] using context classloader org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader@1529d183.
> log4j: Trying to find [log4j.xml] using org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader@1529d183
class loader.
> log4j: Trying to find [log4j.xml] using ClassLoader.getSystemResource().
> log4j: Trying to find [log4j.properties] using context classloader org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader@1529d183.
> log4j: Using URL [file:/C:\Apache\Tomcat/lib/log4j.properties] for automatic log4j configuration.
> log4j: Reading configuration from URL file:/C:\Apache\Tomcat/lib/log4j.properties
> log4j: Parsing for [root] with value=[WARN,CATALINA,LOCALHOST,MANAGER,HOST-MANAGER,stdout,stderr].
> log4j: Level token is [WARN].
> log4j: Category root set to WARN
> log4j: Parsing appender named "CATALINA".
> log4j: Parsing layout options for "CATALINA".
> log4j: Setting property [conversionPattern] to [%d [%t] %-5p %c- %m%n].
> log4j: End of parsing for "CATALINA".
> log4j: Setting property [encoding] to [UTF-8].
> log4j: Setting property [datePattern] to ['.'yyyy-MM-dd-HH-mm'.log'].
> log4j: Setting property [file] to [C:\Apache\Tomcat/logs/catalina].
> log4j: Setting property [append] to [true].
> log4j: setFile called: C:\Apache\Tomcat/logs/catalina, true
> log4j: setFile ended
> log4j: Appender [CATALINA] to be rolled on top of every minute.
> log4j: Parsed "CATALINA" options.
> log4j: Handling log4j.additivity.org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost]=[null]
> log4j: Finished configuring.
> .
> .
> #Parsing for rest of the file
> .
> .
> log4j: Parsing for [org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[host-manager]]
with value=[WARN, HOST-MANAGER].
> log4j: Level token is [WARN].
> log4j: Category org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[host-manager]
set to WARN
> log4j: Parsing appender named "HOST-MANAGER".
> 
> 
> delegate: false
>  repositories:
>    /WEB-INF/classes/
> ----------> Parent Classloader:
> org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader@6c79fa4f
> .
> log4j: Trying to find [log4j.xml] using WebappClassLoader
>  context: /mya
>  delegate: false
>  repositories:
>    /WEB-INF/classes/
> ----------> Parent Classloader:
> org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader@6c79fa4f
> class loader.
> log4j: Trying to find [log4j.xml] using ClassLoader.getSystemResource().
> log4j: Trying to find [log4j.properties] using context classloader WebappClassLoader
>  context: /mya
>  delegate: false
>  repositories:
>    /WEB-INF/classes/
> ----------> Parent Classloader:
> org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader@6c79fa4f
> .
> log4j: Using URL [file://C:\Apache\Tomcat/lib/log4j.properties] for automatic log4j configuration.
> 
> log4j: Using URL [file:/C:\Apache\Tomcat/lib/log4j.properties] for automatic log4j configuration.
> log4j: log4j: Parsing for [root] with value=[WARN,CATALINA,LOCALHOST,MANAGER,HOST-MANAGER,stdout,stderr].
> log4j: Level token is [WARN].
> Reading configuration from URL file:/C:\Apache\Tomcat/lib/log4j.properties
> 
> log4j: Category root set to WARN
> log4j: Parsing appender named "CATALINA".
> log4j: Parsing layout options for "CATALINA".
> log4j: Setting property [conversionPattern] to [%d [%t] %-5p %c- %m%n].
> log4j: End of parsing for "CATALINA".
> log4j: Setting property [encoding] to [UTF-8].
> log4j: Setting property [datePattern] to ['.'yyyy-MM-dd-HH-mm'.log'].
> log4j: Setting property [file] to [C:\Apache\Tomcat/logs/catalina].
> log4j: Setting property [append] to [true].
> log4j: setFile called: C:\Apache\Tomcat/logs/catalina, true
> log4j: setFile ended
> log4j: Appender [CATALINA] to be rolled on top of every minute.
> log4j: Parsed "CATALINA" options.
> log4j: Handling log4j.additivity.org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost]=[null]
> log4j: Finished configuring.
> .
> .
> #Parsing for rest of the appenders
> .
> .
> log4j: Parsing for [org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[host-manager]]
with value=[WARN, HOST-MANAGER].
> log4j: Level token is [WARN].
> log4j: Category org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[host-manager]
set to WARN
> log4j: Parsing appender named "HOST-MANAGER".
> .
> .
> .
> log4j: Reading configuration from URL file:/C:\Apache\Tomcat/webapps/mya/WEB-INF/classes/properties/log4j.properties
> 
> log4j: Parsing for [org] with value=[INFO, DA, stdout].
> log4j: Level token is [INFO].
> log4j: Category org set to INFO
> log4j: Parsing appender named "DA".
> log4j: Parsing layout options for "DA".
> log4j: Setting property [conversionPattern] to [%-5p [%t] [%X{userID}] %d{dd-MM-yyyy
HH:mm:ss:SSS} [%30c{1}] - %m  %n].
> log4j: End of parsing for "DA".
> log4j: Setting property [append] to [true].
> log4j: Setting property [file] to [C:\Apache\Tomcat/logs/mya.log].
> log4j: Setting property [datePattern] to ['.'yyyy-MM-dd-HH].
> log4j: setFile called: C:\Apache\Tomcat/logs/mya.log, true
> log4j: setFile ended
> log4j: Appender [DA] to be rolled on top of every hour.
> log4j: Parsed "DA" options.
> log4j: Parsing appender named "stdout".
> log4j: Parsing layout options for "stdout".
> log4j: Setting property [conversionPattern] to [%-5p [%t] [%X{userID}] %d{dd-MM-yyyy
HH:mm:ss:SSS} [%30c{1}] - %m  %n].
> log4j: End of parsing for "stdout".
> log4j: Parsed "stdout" options.
> log4j: Handling log4j.additivity.org=[null]
> .
> .
> .
> #parsing of the application's log4j
> .
> .
> .
> log4j:ERROR Failed to rename [C:\Apache\Tomcat/logs/catalina] to [C:\Apache\Tomcat/logs/catalina.2014-07-10-17-09-20.log].
> log4j:ERROR Failed to rename [C:\Apache\Tomcat/logs/localhost] to [C:\Apache\Tomcat/logs/localhost.2014-07-10-17-09-20.log].
> log4j:ERROR Failed to rename [C:\Apache\Tomcat/logs/manager] to [C:\Apache\Tomcat/logs/manager.2014-07-10-17-09-20.log].
> log4j:ERROR Failed to rename [C:\Apache\Tomcat/logs/host-manager] to [C:\Apache\Tomcat/logs/host-manager.2014-07-10-17-09-20.log].
> log4j:ERROR Failed to rename [C:\Apache\Tomcat/logs/stdout] to [C:\Apache\Tomcat/logs/stdout.2014-07-10-17-09-20.log].
> log4j:ERROR Failed to rename [C:\Apache\Tomcat/logs/stderr] to [C:\Apache\Tomcat/logs/stderr.2014-07-10-17-09-20.log].
> ----------------------------------
> 
> 
> ----tomcat log4j properties----
> log4j.rootLogger=INFO,CATALINA,LOCALHOST,MANAGER,HOST-MANAGER,stdout,stderr
> 
> # Define all the appenders
> log4j.appender.CATALINA=org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender
> log4j.appender.CATALINA.File=${catalina.base}/logs/catalina
> log4j.appender.CATALINA.Append=true
> log4j.appender.CATALINA.Encoding=UTF-8
> log4j.appender.CATALINA.DatePattern = '.'yyyy-MM-dd-HH-mm'.log'
> log4j.appender.CATALINA.layout = org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
> log4j.appender.CATALINA.layout.ConversionPattern = %d [%t] %-5p %c- %m%n
> 
> .
> .
> .
> log4j.appender.stdout=org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender
> log4j.appender.stdout.File=${catalina.base}/logs/stdout
> log4j.appender.stdout.Append=true
> log4j.appender.stdout.Encoding=UTF-8
> log4j.appender.stdout.DatePattern = '.'yyyy-MM-dd-HH-mm'.log'
> log4j.appender.stdout.layout = org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
> log4j.appender.stdout.layout.ConversionPattern = %d [%t] %-5p %c- %m%n
> 
> 
> # Configure which loggers log to which appenders
> log4j.logger.org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost]=DEBUG, CATALINA
> log4j.logger.org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[\manager]=DEBUG,
MANAGER
> log4j.logger.org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[\host-manager]=DEBUG,
HOST-MANAGER
> 
> --------end tomcat log4j properties----
> 
> ---my application's log4j---
> log4j.log.dir=${catalina.home}/logs
> 
> #Application Log
> log4j.logger.ou.org.to=ALL, DA, stdout
> log4j.logger.aud=ALL,AudAppender, stdout
> log4j.logger.ou.org.to.osf.core.aop.MethodTrace=ALL, MethodTraceAppender, stdout
> log4j.logger.ou.org.to.osf.core.aop.PerfMonitor=ALL, PerfAppender, stdout
> 
> log4j.appender.stdout=org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender
> log4j.appender.stdout.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
> log4j.appender.stdout.layout.ConversionPattern=%-5p [%t] [%X{userID}] %d{dd-MM-yyyy HH:mm:ss:SSS}
[%30c{1}] - %m  %n
> 
> log4j.appender.DA=org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender
> log4j.appender.DA.file=${log4j.log.dir}/mya.log
> log4j.appender.DA.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
> log4j.appender.DA.layout.ConversionPattern=%-5p [%t] [%X{userID}] %d{dd-MM-yyyy HH:mm:ss:SSS}
[%30c{1}] - %m  %n
> log4j.appender.DA.DatePattern='.'yyyy-MM-dd-HH
> log4j.appender.DA.append=true
> --------------------------------------
> 
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: log4j-user-unsubscribe@logging.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: log4j-user-help@logging.apache.org
> 

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: log4j-user-unsubscribe@logging.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: log4j-user-help@logging.apache.org


Mime
View raw message