From Matt Sicker <boa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cannot set up my custom layout in 2.0 (worked in rc1)
Date Thu, 17 Jul 2014 15:31:13 GMT
Yeah because it was only used for runtime loading. Now that log4j-core
contains an annotation processor that automatically creates your plugin
.dat file, there's no need for the packages attribute. It's effectively
impossible to build a plugin without using log4j-core in the classpath, so
it's unnecessary to support the packages attribute. In log4j-core, I had to
add some special maven-compiler-plugin settings just to get log4j-core to
use an annotation processor from log4j-core, but other projects (e.g., all
the other log4j modules) only need to depend on log4j-core to get loaded at
runtime.

Now if you're using a custom plugin that was built against an older version
of log4j, it might not have used the processor at the time.