From Scott Deboy <scott.de...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to get Log4j2, Tomcat and Chainsaw work together?
Date Thu, 24 Jul 2014 03:28:37 GMT
Regarding Chainsaw, it currently doesn't support the XML format
generated by Log4j2, but does support pattern layout based log
formats.  Chainsaw supports most regular text log formats, and has
special support for Log4j's pattern layout.

I'd suggest either configuring Chainsaw manually, or use the
advertiser mechanism described here:
http://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/manual/configuration.html#ChainsawSupport

The log4j2 advertiser mechanism works with patternlayout-formatted log
files and requires  the jmdns jar to be on the classpath.

To configure Chainsaw manually to tail a log file generated with a
pattern layout, choose the 'process a log file' option from Chainsaw's
'load Chainsaw configuration' menu option.  If the log file is on the
local file system, browse to it via the 'open file' button.

Next, set the 'log file format type' to PaternLayout format and
provide the pattern layout format used by your appender, then specify
the timestamp format used in your pattern layout.

You can save this configuration in this dialog as an xml file for
later use, and you can tell Chainsaw to always use this configuration
when starting.

Hope that helps.  Feel free to send questions to the list.

Scott