From Merten Schumann <Merten.Schum...@asg.com>
Subject RE: Logger.setLevel() not supported in 2.0?
Date Thu, 24 Jul 2014 14:31:18 GMT
Well, the behavior of setLevel() in Log4j 1 in conjunction with logger hierarchies ... is unexpected,
yes. ;-)

So there is no public(ly supported) way to change a Logger's level in Log4j 2 - okay, I'll
just miss it.

We've got an API here offering some public documented our.own.Logger instances - including
a setLevel() method at the public interface, Log4j 1 is one of the logging implementations
supported.
I think we could implement a work around for our setLevel() method, when we want or have to
support Log4j 2 - behind the scenes we could create multiple Logger instances for the same
logical name but the appropriate Logger level and redirect to the correct one then. Not perfect
but could work.

Just found, the creation of Logger instances seems not to support specifying the level directly/programmatically
... aha, there seems to be a way via an own LoggerConfig implementation. :-)

Thank you, Ralph!
   Merten

-----Original Message-----
From: Ralph Goers [mailto:ralph.goers@dslextreme.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 5:26 PM
To: Log4J Users List
Subject: Re: Logger.setLevel() not supported in 2.0?

In Log4j 2 Logger.setLevel() might now work the way you would expect.  It would change the
level of the specific logger, but it would not affect child loggers.  So if you had a Logger(com.foo)
and Logger(com.foo.bar), which both had effective levels of "error" and then you called setLevel
on Logger(com.foo) with "debug", events logged to Logger(com.foo.bar) would still be at "error".
 To change the level in a manner similar to Log4j 1 you would want to obtain the appropriate
LoggerConfig, change its Level and then call the LoggerContext's updateLoggers() method.
Needless to say, this is not something that is exposed at the API layer and ties you to the
specifics of how Log4j 2 is implemented.

FWIW, changing the Level of the LoggerConfig is supported via JMX, so you can create tooling
that interacts with that.

Ralph

On Jul 22, 2014, at 11:32 PM, Merten Schumann <Merten.Schumann@asg.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> from "Converting to the Log4j 2 API":
> Calls to org.apache.log4j.Logger.setLevel() or similar methods are not supported in the
API.
> Applications should remove these.
>
> Could imagine the reason, checking getLevel() is final, so it's quick.
> But, when you have in your program your good old fixed static Logger log, it's often
helpful to toggle its logger level at runtime, when the method that should be investigated
is reached in the code or in the debugger ... enable DEBUG output and disable it again ...