From Marco Cosentino <cosentino...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: log4j 2.0 - About StatusLogger logging level and console output
Date Fri, 01 Aug 2014 07:15:06 GMT
Hi Remko,
thanks for the reply.
I'd still like something which can be enabled through system preoperties
and logs at very early stages, for example, where the config is read from.

Marco.

On 08/01/2014 12:04 AM, Remko Popma wrote:
> All you need to do is set status="trace" in your log4j2.xml config file.
>
> So the beginning of your config looks like this:
> <Configuration status="trace" ...
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On 2014/08/01, at 1:13, Marco Cosentino <cosentino.ma@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> I'm trying to get log4j 2.0 debug information printed out in the console but I couldn't
manage to get them.
>> In log4j 1.x you would set the system property "log4j.debug".
>>
>> I thought that the mechanism was similar in log4j 2.x and apparently it should be
by setting
>> log4j2.StatusLogger.level=DEBUG
>>
>> Still nothing, so I dug a little bit in the code and found that the StatusLogger
logs its messages either to the listeners (if there's at least one) or to a SimpleLogger (logger)
which is initialized in the constructor (method StatusLogger#logMessage()).

>> I found that there was a JMX listener registered so I disabled JMX beans with
>> log4j2.disable.jmx=true
>> but still no luck: the messages don't appear in the console.
>>
>> I noticed though that the constructor might be the source of the problem:
>>
>>     private StatusLogger() {
>>         this.logger = new SimpleLogger("StatusLogger", Level.ERROR, false, true,
false, false, Strings.EMPTY, null, PROPS,
>>             System.err);
>>         this.listenersLevel = Level.toLevel(DEFAULT_STATUS_LEVEL, Level.WARN).intLevel();
>>     }
>>
>> The SimpleLogger is initialized using level ERROR therefore the isEnabled implementation
in StatusLogger returns the logging level of this.logger which is always ERROR even if I wanted
DEBUG.

>> Would it make sense to use DEFAULT_STATUS_LEVEL to actually set the level into the
SimpleLogger constructor?
>> Why is it so hard to get debug messages showing up in the console (I mean disable
JMX and set the property to DEBUG)?