From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: RollingFileAppender appears to be losing log entries
Date Mon, 03 Nov 2014 05:16:17 GMT
We have attempted to list the dependencies at http://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/runtime-dependencies.html
<http://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/runtime-dependencies.html> and http://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/faq.html#which_jars
<http://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/faq.html#which_jars>.

You need log4j-api and log4j-core for Log4j itself. If you are running in a web app then you
would also need log4j-web.

For bridging Log4j 1.x to Log4j 2 you need the log4j-1.2-api jar.

For bridging commons logging to log4j 2 you need the commons logging jar + the log4j-jcl jar.

For binding SLF4J to Log4j 2 you need the SLF4J API and the log4j-slf4j-impl jar.

For java.util.logging you need the log4j-jul jar (and you will have to set a system property).

You are currently routing all the logging to SLF4J. If you want you can continue to do that
and simply remove log4j-1.2.17.jar and slf4j-log4j12-1.7.6.jar and replace them with the log4j-slf4j-impl,
log4j-api and log4j-core jars (+ log4j-web in a servlet container).

Ralph

> On Nov 2, 2014, at 5:02 PM, Shawn Heisey <apache@elyograg.org> wrote:
>
> On 11/2/2014 12:57 PM, Ralph Goers wrote:
>> 1.  I would check bugzilla to see if anyone has reported this. I don’t recall seeing
anything like it in the last 4 years.
>> 2. Log4j 1.x is not actively maintained. Even if you find that it is a bug it is
unlikely to ever be fixed. Upgrading to Log4j 2 is recommended.