From Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: Using log4j2 2.1 over slf4j 1.7.7 in Eclipse RCP
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2014 11:56:51 GMT
Can you get plain log4j to work first? That would be a good sanity check.

Gary

<stephan.druskat@uni-jena.de> </div><div>Date:11/24/2014  04:58  (GMT-05:00)
Using log4j2 2.1 over slf4j 1.7.7 in Eclipse RCP </div><div>

I'm developing an Eclipse RCP based on Eclipse 3.7.2 (Indigo).

I'd like to use log4j2 (2.1) over slf4j 1.7.7, but I'm having trouble
getting it to work. I have done the following to add log4j2 and slf4j to
my application.

- I've built a p2 repo including slf4j.api_1.7.7.jar,
org.apache.logging.log4j.core_2.1.0.jar,
org.apache.logging.log4j.api_2.1.0.jar,
org.apache.logging.log4j.slf4j-impl_2.1.0.jar.

- I've consumed this p2 repo in my target platform + added it to the
parent POM of my project.

- I've added all 4 plugins to my Eclipse plugin project as dependencies
in MANIFEST.MF.

- I've created a file log4j2.xml in the project root in my Eclipse
plugin. Content below.

- I've added a private static final Logger logger =
LoggerFactory.getLogger(MyClass.class) field to MyClass

- In MyClass, I've called logger.error("Hi from logger").

However, when I run my application, I'm getting an error message: ERROR
StatusLogger Log4j2 could not find a logging implementation. Please add
log4j-core to the classpath. Using SimpleLogger to log to the console...

So it seems that log4j is up and running, and that slf4j can "use" log4j.

I've also copied the log4j-core JAR into a dedicated directory in my
plugin, and added it to the Bundle-ClassPath in MANIFEST.MF, albeit to
no avail.

I'd be more than happy if someone who is using the same or a similar
setup could point me in the right direction of what I'm missing out.

Many thanks!
Stephan

log4j2.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Configuration status="WARN">
    <Appenders>
        <Console name="console" target="SYSTEM_OUT">
            <PatternLayout pattern="[%-5level] %d{yyyy-MM-dd
HH:mm:ss.SSS} [%t] %c{1} - %msg%n"/>
        </Console>
    </Appenders>
    <Loggers>