From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Redirect log4j to JUL
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2015 15:12:55 GMT
FWIW, both Log4j 1.x and Commons Logging were implemented before JDK 1.4 when Java logging
was introduced. I have been told the JDK spec writers spoke to Ceki (a significant contributor
to Log4j 1.x) and mostly ignored what he advised them to do.  As a consequence SLF4J, Logback
and Log4j 2 all exist because it was felt that the JDK implementation is insufficient.

Ralph

> On Jan 5, 2015, at 8:00 AM, Shawn Heisey <apache@elyograg.org> wrote:
>
> On 1/5/2015 7:09 AM, Goran Karlic wrote:
>> I looked into SLF4J - it seems an overkill for the situation: around 95% of logs
are JUL, maybe 5% log4j.

>> Adding multiple SLF4J jars for that 5% with their overhead is not really an option
-- But I'll think about it anyway, since it seems the only "fair" solution.

>> I'll ask the dev of that module to switch from log4j to JUL, seems the simplest solution
(never would have thought that before - but one can always learn :-)