From "Blaine Bergeson (bbergeson)" <bberge...@micron.com>
Subject Re: Getting Started
Date Sat, 17 Jan 2015 00:41:52 GMT
Remko,

Thanks for your feedback. Actually I do want to change the log level by user mode because
our users are internal engineers and will look at the log files. We also don't want excessive
logging when unnecessary so by changing modes in the fly we can bump up the logging to get
more information. Many tools do this, in fact even NetBeans does this through commandline
switches.

I have learned some additional things which may be bugs or just how it is suppose to work
or I am missing something. I will post them on a new thread.

Blaine

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 15, 2015, at 5:37 PM, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Blaine,
>
> First a small detail: you will find that the entry(), exit() and catching() methods are
only useful if you configure includeLocation="true" (there is a performance trade-off here,
the manual has more details).

> Next, I'm not sure about what you want to achieve by changing the log level based on
which user is using your app. Personally I would advise against that; I would keep it simple,
and just have a single configuration that logs everything at a level of detail that allows
you to work out what went wrong if something unexpected happens. To me, that means logging
everything at TRACE level because we can't reproduce the issue without enough information.
(This may be different for different applications.)

> Bear in mind, your users will never see the logs, only your first level support team
and (if they can't figure out the problem), your second level support (probably your development
team) will ever look at the log files.

> Best regards,
> Remko
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On 2015/01/16, at 2:54, "Blaine Bergeson (bbergeson)" <bbergeson@micron.com>
wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> I am just getting started using Log4j2 and after pouring over the documentation which
is pretty good I would still like some assurance that I am heading the right direction.  I
feel like my use case is the most fundamental case but there must be a slicker way than how
I am implementing it.

>> I only need one log file for my entire application(isn't this true for most applications?);
therefore I am using the root logger with the level set at info, and 1 Async RollingRandomAccessFile
appender.  My understanding of logging up to this point has been, add logging statements all
over the place using entry(), exit(), debug(), info(), etc.,  and then based upon the type
of user that is using the application, programmatically change the logging level so that the
correct events are allowed to be logged for that type of user.  Outside of wanting to use
a different pattern or appender based  upon some criteria, other than the level, why wouldn't
you always want to do it this way?  It seems like the configuration file is just used to define
the destinations and patterns based upon some critiera, but the most basic typical use case
is to change the log level based upon a user or mode of the application.  Another words as
far as the logging level is concerned it seems like the configuration file just contains some
default value but then in my code I have to get the context, then get the configuration, then
get the root logger config, set the new log level, and finally update all the loggers every
time I want to change what is logged based upon some mode or user.  I can pass the user name
or mode to the configuration by way of the context map but then what do I put in the configuration
to allow certain events to be logged if it is a certain log level or more specific?

>> For example given the following user types I would the logging level to change, and
the user type can change at any time while the application is running: