From Goran Karlic <goran.kar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Redirect log4j to JUL
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2015 15:04:51 GMT
Hi Shawn,

I think very able people are already having that discussion all over the net. Like here: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4882783

So I'll leave it at that before it flames up, as the log4j mailing list is probably the worst
place to talk about the virtues of other logging frameworks ;-)

JUL is bad, very bad probably, but it's part of the Java Runtime. If all the nice work done
for log4j 1 and 2, logback and SLF4J just had been put into a JSR... we might all be happier.

Thank you for answering my question.

Cheers,
Goran

> On 05 Jan 2015, at 22:28, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Can I ask what you like about JUL? I have heard many complaints about it, ranging from
performance (atrocious) to lack of nice layouts and how difficult it is to extend. (Which
is why there's a JUL->log4j bridge, but not the other way around.)

> I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the trade-offs between JUL and log4j2.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On 2015/01/05, at 23:09, Goran Karlic <goran.karlic@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Shawn,
>>
>> I looked into SLF4J - it seems an overkill for the situation: around 95% of logs
are JUL, maybe 5% log4j.

>> Adding multiple SLF4J jars for that 5% with their overhead is not really an option
-- But I'll think about it anyway, since it seems the only "fair" solution.

>> I'll ask the dev of that module to switch from log4j to JUL, seems the simplest solution
(never would have thought that before - but one can always learn :-)