From Pedro Pedruzzi <pedro.pedru...@gmail.com>
Subject Configuration don't seem to take effect on previously created Logger (Weblogic 10.3.5)
Date Mon, 09 Mar 2015 20:54:34 GMT
Hello.

I am using log4j 1.2.14 on WebLogic 10.3.5 application server. I would
really appreciate some help to understand and debug a possible issue.

I use DOMConfigurator.configureAndWatch for configuration (called on a
weblogic ApplicationLifecycleListener postStart callback).

Most of the loggers work fine. But some of them, apparently those
created before the configureAndWatch call, stay completely silent even
after configuration. For example, the issue occurs on ServletFilters
(they are instantiated by the container during application startup).

I scanned the Category hierarchy and saw that my silent logger's
parent is the "root" with level = OFF.

If I Logger.getLogger again, I get a fine one with the expected
configuration hierarchy. If I use the Apache Commons Logging API, I
always get the silent one (I guess it is being cached).

I couldn't reproduce this problem in Java SE / unit tests. The loggers
start silent, but the configuration update them automatically.

Am I doing something conceptually wrong?

Is it expected that this "automatic reconfiguration" will work on my scenario?

How can I debug this problem further?

Thanks in advance.

ızznɹpǝԀ oɹpǝԀ