From jeremy <majikt...@gmail.com>
Subject Question about AsyncAppender vs FailoverAppender
Date Mon, 09 Mar 2015 22:59:59 GMT
After a quick code inspection it appears that AsyncAppender does not treat
running out of space in its ring buffer as an exception.

If we were to configure AsyncAppender with

blocking false
ignoreExceptions false
and no errorRef

When it runs out of space in the ring buffer it will log an error message,
but not raise an AppenderLoggerException.

Q: Is my understanding of the above accurate?

I understand that intention is to use errorRef to failover to another
appender, however, FailoverAppender offers a much more developed idea of
failover (eg retry interval and multiple failovers) . What's the benefit of
providing errorRef in AsyncAppender rather than simply throwing an
exception when you run out of space in your ring buffer and instructing
users to utilizing FailoverAppender for failover functionality?

Thanks!
-jeremy