From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: log4j2 for java 1.6.x?
Date Tue, 26 May 2015 17:04:55 GMT
We have been using git for quite some time.  As I said, the 2.3 release is Java 1.6. If or
when we need another Java 1.6 release we will create a branch off the 2.3 release tag.  In
the meantime, master is moving forward with Java 1.7.  We do not plan to move all new work
done on master to a Java 1.6 branch.

Ralph

> On May 26, 2015, at 10:01 AM, Jochen Wiedmann <jochen.wiedmann@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Wouldn't this be an excellent use case for migration to Git, so that a
> 1.6 specific branch can be maintained with minor efforts for some
> time?
>
> Jochen
>

> On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 6:00 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com <mailto:ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>>
wrote:
>> To be clear, the plan is to do future enhancements against Java 1.7, but if there
is a bug or feature that is absolutely needed we can create releases for Java 1.6.

>> Hopefully you are aware of Oracle’s Java Roadmap - http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html
<http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html> <http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html
<http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html>>.  Public support for Java
1.6 was dropped in Feb 2013 and public support for Java 1.7 was ended in April 2015.  Since
you can still pay Oracle for support beyond those dates Log4j intentionally has lagged behind
and continued to support Java 1.6 well beyond the point when most users have converted.

>> Ralph
>>

>>> On May 26, 2015, at 5:55 AM, Emi Lu <emilu@encs.concordia.ca> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello Ralph,
>>>
>>> We have several applications based on 1.6 and cannot be migrated to 1.7/1.8 for
a while. If major fix/improvement can be added into 2.3 (sub)version, it will help a lot.

>>> Thanks a lot!

another 1.6 release if it is needed.