From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Why is log4net not more similar to log4j(2)?
Date Fri, 18 Sep 2015 07:25:00 GMT
On 2015-09-17, Gary Gregory wrote:

> "Patches welcome" is my motto :-)

> Gary

> On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 2:42 PM, Nicholas Duane <nickdu@msn.com> wrote:

>> Sending to both the log4j and log4net mailing lists.

>> I'm curious why log4net is not more similar to log4j(2)?  Is it because
>> there is less development work being done on log4net and log4j had
>> significant changes in the 2.0 version?

> I think I read somewhere that log4net was a port of log4j 1.

This is certainly part of the reason.  log4net was started as a port of
1.x a long time ago.  The developers (long before I joined) added some
deviations that look closer to what log4j 2 is doing (XML
configuration).

Incidently Dominik started a discussion about log4net 2.0 on the dev
list[1] and some people expressed interest.  Any hand that can offer
some help is more than welcome, so please come over and join.

[1] thread starting with http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/logging-log4net-dev/201508.mbox/%3C03be01d0da4f%24a85aaa10%24f90ffe30%24%40apache.org%3E

Stefan