From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Why is log4net not more similar to log4j(2)?
Date Thu, 17 Sep 2015 00:58:12 GMT
Well, it might be huge but I’m guessing it would be a lot of fun!

Ralph

> On Sep 16, 2015, at 5:06 PM, Nicholas Duane <nickdu@msn.com> wrote:
>
> Not sure.  I was going to ask what a guess on the effort might be.  I wasn't expecting
*huge*.  And I guess *huge* is still your guess if we only consider the "core" and maybe a
single file appender just as a starting point?

> Thanks,
> Nick
>
> Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 15:49:22 -0700
> Subject: Re: Why is log4net not more similar to log4j(2)?
> From: garydgregory@gmail.com
> To: log4j-user@logging.apache.org
> CC: log4net-user@logging.apache.org
>
> Porting Log4j 2 would be a *huge* job. Would you use a translator of some kind?
> Gary
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 3:41 PM, Nicholas Duane <nickdu@msn.com> wrote:
> I was debating offering to help.  Not that I wouldn't be interested, just don't know
how much time I could commit.  Also, not sure I would be interested in "patching" log4net.
 In my mind the best approach would be to port log4j2.  I would like the two to be very similar,
down to the level values, configuration syntax, appenders, filters and extensibility.

> Thanks,
>
> Nick
>

> Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 15:25:19 -0700
>
> Subject: Re: Why is log4net not more similar to log4j(2)?
>
> From: garydgregory@gmail.com
>
> To: log4j-user@logging.apache.org
>
> CC: log4net-user@logging.apache.org
>

> I think I read somewhere that log4net was a port of log4j 1.
>
> "Patches welcome" is my motto :-)
>
> Gary
>
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 2:42 PM, Nicholas Duane <nickdu@msn.com> wrote:
>
> Sending to both the log4j and log4net mailing lists.
>

> I'm curious why log4net is not more similar to log4j(2)?  Is it because there is less
development work being done on log4net and log4j had significant changes in the 2.0 version?
 Any chance log4net might become more of a "port" of log4j(2) and thus be more similar?