From Dave Glasser <dglas...@pobox.com>
Subject programmatically change max file size of RollingFileAppender
Date Wed, 09 Dec 2015 04:56:04 GMT

I'm using Log4j 2.3, rather than the latest 2.x version, because my code needs to run on Java
1.6. Anyway, I am configuring everything programmatically. When I create the RollingFileAppender
with RollingFileAppender.createAppender, I pass in as the policy parameter:

SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy.createPolicy("10MB");

So far, so good. But I need to be able to change the max file size programattically at runtime.
I could do it with log4j 1.2.x because my RollingFileAppender had a setMaxFileSize() method.
But in 2.3, the triggerPolicy field of RollingFileAppender is read only, and the SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy
that determines the max file size seems to be immutable. About the only thing I can see that
might work is to remove the appender and replace it with a new one. Does anyone know a simpler
solution?