From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: programmatically change max file size of RollingFileAppender
Date Wed, 09 Dec 2015 06:25:00 GMT
This was fixed in LOG4J2-381. Unfortunately that is in the 2.5 release so would require Java
7.  I suppose you could back port the fix to 2.3.

Ralph

> On Dec 8, 2015, at 9:56 PM, Dave Glasser <dglasser@pobox.com> wrote:
>

> I'm using Log4j 2.3, rather than the latest 2.x version, because my code needs to run
on Java 1.6. Anyway, I am configuring everything programmatically. When I create the RollingFileAppender
with RollingFileAppender.createAppender, I pass in as the policy parameter:

> SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy.createPolicy("10MB");
>
> So far, so good. But I need to be able to change the max file size programattically at
runtime. I could do it with log4j 1.2.x because my RollingFileAppender had a setMaxFileSize()
method. But in 2.3, the triggerPolicy field of RollingFileAppender is read only, and the SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy
that determines the max file size seems to be immutable. About the only thing I can see that
might work is to remove the appender and replace it with a new one. Does anyone know a simpler
solution?