From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Differences between FlumeAppender options
Date Wed, 10 Feb 2016 03:49:29 GMT
The 3 types are:

Vanilla - it uses Flume’s RPC client to send events to a remote Flume instance synchronously.
If the remote Flume goes down you could lose events. It requires a minimum of dependencies.
Embedded - it uses the Flume File Channel to write the events there first. It then asynchronously
sends the events to the remote Flume agent without losing any events. This will give your
application the best performance but requires the most dependencies.
Persistent - It uses Berkely DB instead of the File channel. It also asynchronously sends
events to a remote Flume agent and shouldn’t lose events. This has less dependencies but
doesn’t perform as well as the embedded appender.

Your choice is purely based on which of these characteristics you want.

Ralph

> On Jan 10, 2016, at 5:29 AM, Conor Griffin <conorgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I’ve been trying out the FlumeAppender in log4j2 over the last couple of days and it
seems to work.  However, I’m not clear on the situations you should be using the three types;
remote client, embedded agent and persistent.  The documentation isn’t particularly clear
on this either and doesn’t list typical drawbacks/advantages of each approach.  I tried
out the persistent one (which seems to perform better than the remote client) and it generates
data in the dataDir directory supplied in the configuration.  But this data doesn’t seem
to get cleaned up.  Does this persist forever unless manually deleted?

> I guess I’m looking for some more in depth documentation or help with the FlumeAppender
specifically.  If someone can either point me to some further existing documentation or help
me understand it a little better I’d appreciate it.