From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Log4j2 Backwards Compatibility
Date Mon, 07 Mar 2016 16:34:01 GMT
From the get-go Log4j implemented a new plugin system to make it easier for users to add their
own components. In addition, new components such as global filters and markers were added.
Finally, since the internal architecture changed none of the existing Log4j 1.x appenders
or layouts could be used as is. All of this together meant the way configuration was done
had to change. Additionally, the way configuration is done in Log4j 2 is far more flexible.

Yes, if you are using a small set of components, like a console appender, file appender and
rolling file appender, you could probably write something that would emit a workable Log4j
2 configuration from a log4j 1 configuration.

Ralph