From Remko Popma <remko.po...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hook into the RollingFileManager#write / Get notice about written bytes
Date Thu, 17 Mar 2016 20:27:57 GMT
Sounds like what you need is a ByteBurstFilter. This may be generally useful, so we could look
at adding this to core. What action do you want to take if the threshold is succeeded? Drop
all events from that point?

Sent from my iPhone

> On 2016/03/18, at 5:39, Christian <christian@myvm.de> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> sorry for the late response and thanks for your responses!
>
> I don't want to do some statistical stuff, so unfortunately this information doesn't
suit my needs :(

> As Gary said it would be nice for my purpose if I had a listener that's called right
before the log will be written. Maybe with the whole byte-array or only some information like
the byte-size.

> I want to do some stuff inside my application like the BurstFilter - but per written
bytes and not per amounts of events. So I want to do some precautions when X bytes in Y seconds
were written.
> In the past we had issues that some loops went crazy and logged the same messages thousand
times per second until our disk was full and the application was unsuable. And because we
only know how many bytes our disk is able to store and not how many events it is able to store,
we couldn't use the BurstFilter... :(

> The managers aren't final, but it's also very hard to create a new sub class of a manager,
because some factories are private and so you need to copy all facotries / factory methods...
Not what I like...