From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: controlling the status logger output?
Date Mon, 07 Mar 2016 16:36:09 GMT
Log4j 2 has a BurstFilter that can be used for throttling.

Ralph

> On Mar 7, 2016, at 9:19 AM, Nicholas Duane <nickdu@msn.com> wrote:
>
> I was asking about what's getting logged as I figured we shouldn't have that much in
there to be too worried about disk space consumption.  The appender in question is an https
appender we wrote.  If it encounters an exception is calls LOGGER.error().  We should have
some throttling around that such that we don't generate 1-for-1 errors for each exception
we encounter since a problem with the https endpoint could flood the system, but we don't
have that throttling yet.  We're redirecting stdout now which is why we're running into some
disk consumption issue.  Is there a safe way to implement rolling the file without the generating
app knowing about it?  Wouldn't I potentially be deleting the file contents out from under
it?

> I have a related question, does log4j2 have some throttling of its own?  If I removed
the LOGGER.error() and just let the exception bubble up to log4j2, would it throttle those
errors?  I think I was investigating this earlier and noticed some throttling but can't be
sure.

> ...<some time going by while I'm thinking>...
>
> I guess we could write our own application which takes stdin and writes to files and
this could do the rolling file work.  I would think something like that might already exist
in linux.

> Thanks,
> Nick
>
>> Subject: Re: controlling the status logger output?
>> From: ralph.goers@dslextreme.com
>> Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2016 08:54:05 -0700
>> To: log4j-user@logging.apache.org
>>
>> If you set the status level to ERROR the StatusLogger should generate very little
output. That said, if you are concerned you can redirect stdout and implement the rolling
yourself.

>> Ralph
>>
>>> On Mar 7, 2016, at 8:39 AM, Nicholas Duane <nickdu@msn.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> We've written some appenders and I think the prescribed approach is to use the
status logger in log4j2 components, is that correct?  The problem we're running into is that
we redirect stdout to a file and thus that file can grow unbounded.  It seems there's no way
to have something like a rolling file appender for the status logger, correct?  Any suggestions
for limiting the size of the log generated by the status logger when stdout has been redirected
to a file?