From Nicholas Duane <nic...@msn.com>
Subject RE: controlling the status logger output?
Date Mon, 07 Mar 2016 16:19:59 GMT
I was asking about what's getting logged as I figured we shouldn't have that much in there
to be too worried about disk space consumption.  The appender in question is an https appender
we wrote.  If it encounters an exception is calls LOGGER.error().  We should have some throttling
around that such that we don't generate 1-for-1 errors for each exception we encounter since
a problem with the https endpoint could flood the system, but we don't have that throttling
yet.  We're redirecting stdout now which is why we're running into some disk consumption issue.
 Is there a safe way to implement rolling the file without the generating app knowing about
it?  Wouldn't I potentially be deleting the file contents out from under it?

I have a related question, does log4j2 have some throttling of its own?  If I removed the
LOGGER.error() and just let the exception bubble up to log4j2, would it throttle those errors?
 I think I was investigating this earlier and noticed some throttling but can't be sure.

...<some time going by while I'm thinking>...

I guess we could write our own application which takes stdin and writes to files and this
could do the rolling file work.  I would think something like that might already exist in
linux.

Thanks,
Nick

> Subject: Re: controlling the status logger output?
> From: ralph.goers@dslextreme.com
> Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2016 08:54:05 -0700
> To: log4j-user@logging.apache.org
>
> If you set the status level to ERROR the StatusLogger should generate very little output.
That said, if you are concerned you can redirect stdout and implement the rolling yourself.

> Ralph
>
> > On Mar 7, 2016, at 8:39 AM, Nicholas Duane <nickdu@msn.com> wrote:
> >
> > We've written some appenders and I think the prescribed approach is to use the status
logger in log4j2 components, is that correct?  The problem we're running into is that we redirect
stdout to a file and thus that file can grow unbounded.  It seems there's no way to have something
like a rolling file appender for the status logger, correct?  Any suggestions for limiting
the size of the log generated by the status logger when stdout has been redirected to a file?