From Thomas Papke <thomas.pa...@icw.de>
Subject Issues with JMX Mbean
Date Tue, 22 Mar 2016 10:48:15 GMT
Hello all,

I start using Log4j2 2.5 with an Apache Tomcat container. The integration works so fare, but
I have identified some issues with the exposed Jconsole Mbean.

1.       The loggers run into a NullPointer if someone use an incorrect logger name. After
this nullpointer, the Mbean display "Unavailable" for this logger, so the whole config file
must be reloaded. Here the log output of my local testing. I would expect that the logger
do not except the incorrect value and internally remain with the previous value (maybe throw
a IllegalArgumentException to give a feedback to the user).

validating [row=4, column=1]: Level=asdfasdf

setAttribute(Level=asdfasdf)

java.lang.NullPointerException

               at org.apache.logging.log4j.core.config.LoggerConfig.getLevel(LoggerConfig.java:261)

               at org.apache.logging.log4j.core.Logger$PrivateConfig.<init>(Logger.java:312)

               at org.apache.logging.log4j.core.Logger.updateConfiguration(Logger.java:293)

               at org.apache.logging.log4j.core.LoggerContext.updateLoggers(LoggerContext.java:595)

               at org.apache.logging.log4j.core.LoggerContext.updateLoggers(LoggerContext.java:585)

               at org.apache.logging.log4j.core.jmx.LoggerConfigAdmin.setLevel(LoggerConfigAdmin.java:82)

2.       The ConfigLocationUri is also editable in the Mbean, but the behavior is a bit strange.
If I type in the correct location e.g. "file:/opt/tomcat /apache-tomcat/conf/log4j2.xml" it
correctly load the file once. But afterwards the "ConfigLocationUri" has automatically changed
to "file:/opt/tomcat/apache-tomcat/bin/file:/opt/tomcat/apache-tomcat/conf/log4j2.xml" which
is no longer a valid path. So it seems to log4j prefixes "file:/opt/tomcat/apache-tomcat/bin/"
(this folder is the root folder where tomcat was started from) to my input.

3.       The JMX ConfigLocationUri seems to partially struggle with "classpath:" Uris that
point to the classpath of one of the webapps (I use log4j-web.jar in the webapp). I saw that
the LoggerContextAdmin internally use "new URL(configLocation);" to load the file. Is it may
be necessary to first identify the correct Classloader?

Any feedback on my reported issues are welcome.

Kind regards,
Thomas

InterComponentWare AG:
Vorstand: Peter Kirschbauer (Vors.), Matthias Gl?ck
Aufsichtsratsvors.: Prof. Dr. Christof Hettich
Unternehmenssitz: 69190 Walldorf, Altrottstra?e 31
AG Mannheim HRB 351761 / USt.-IdNr.: DE 198388516