From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: rolled log file continues to grow unbound
Date Fri, 01 Apr 2016 01:52:15 GMT
Do you have multiple web apps in the same Tomcat using the same log4j configuration?  You should
never (even with Log4j 2) have two applications use the rolling file appender and have each
try to write to the same files. What you are experiencing is exactly what will happen.

Ralph

> [...]
>>> how to debug this thing.
>>>
>>> Problem:
>>> =======
>>> - After rolling, the old (rotated) log file continues to pick up entries
>>> and grows.
>>>  The new log file picks up WARN and INFO level logs. The old/rolled file
>>> picks
>>>  up ERROR level logs.
>>> - After max rotations, the filename no longer visible to "ls". But the
>> Java
>>> process
>>>  still has 2 file descriptors pointing at the deleted file. The file
>> will
>>> keep
>>>  growing until it eats up all disk space.
>>> - Only a handful systems have this problem. We have about 20 systems
>>>  in the lab and most of them rotate correctly.
>>>  One system has this bug happening 100% of the time, meaning after
>>> restarting the
>>>  Java process, the rotation problem appears at the first rollover.
>>>  It is our stress test system and generates quit a bit of log entries
>>> (busy but not
>>>  ridiculously busy).
>>> - 3 other systems entered the above state after moderate effort to
>>>  filled the log file to trigger rolling.
>>>
>>> Other Symtoms:
>>> =============
>>> Output from the command "ls -l /proc/<pid>/fd | grep catalina.out":
>>> Mar 31 11:21 1 -> /var/log/tomcat/catalina.out.1
>>> Mar 31 11:21 111 -> /var/log/tomcat/catalina.out
>>> Mar 31 11:21 2 -> /var/log/tomcat/catalina.out.1
>>>
>>> We have another Java process using identical log4j properties file
>>> (except the log filename part). This process has no rotation problem.
>>> "lsof | grep log4j" output shows this other process has handles
>>> to log4j-1.2.15.jar. But the tomcat process which has rotation
>>> problem does not?! Not sure if this means anything.
>>>

>>> History and Environment:
>>> =======================
>>> We have been using log4j since 2012 without any issues. There are about
>> 200
>>> customers using this configuration:
>>>
>>> - CentOS 6.4, 6.5 and 6.6 (systems upgrade to latest CentOS releases)
>>> - Java 6 (openjdk)
>>> - tomcat 6.0.32
>>> - log4j 2.15 (base on the filename log4j-1.2.15.jar)
>>> - Dell server with 16G RAM and 12 CPU cores (2 sockets X 6 cores)
>>>
>>> This problem appears recently when we upgrade our system to the
>> followings:
>>> - CentOS 6.7
>>> - Java 8 (currently java-1.8.0-openjdk-1.8.0.77-0.b03)
>>> - tomcat 6.0.45 (at one point the stress test system used 6.0.32 and
>>> already
>>>  exhibited the rotation problem)
>>> - log4j 2.15
>>>
>>> log4j.properties:
>>> ================
>>> log4j.rootLogger=WARN, R
>>>
>>> ##rolling appender
>>> log4j.appender.R=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
>>> log4j.appender.R.File=${catalina.home}/logs/catalina.out
>>> log4j.appender.R.MaxFileSize=10MB
>>> log4j.appender.R.MaxBackupIndex=10
>>> log4j.appender.R.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
>>> log4j.appender.R.layout.ConversionPattern=%d [%t] %-5p %c - %m%n
>>>
>>> ## logging levels
>>>

>> log4j.logger.org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost]=WARN
>>> log4j.logger.org.apache.catalina.core=WARN
>>> log4j.logger.org.apache.catalina.session=WARN