From Ray Tayek <rta...@ca.rr.com>
Subject Re: chainsaw - socket hander - jdk util logging
Date Mon, 16 May 2016 23:32:58 GMT
On 5/16/2016 2:26 PM, Scott Deboy wrote:
> With the latest developer snapshot from http://people.apache.org/~sdeboy
>
> See the 'Welcome' tab in Chainsaw, and click 'View example Receiver
> Configuration' toolbar button.
>
> Copy and paste that to a file, and remove all of the plugin entries except for:
>
>   <plugin name="XMLSocketReceiver"
> class="org.apache.log4j.net.XMLSocketReceiver">
>        <param name="decoder" value="org.apache.log4j.xml.UtilLoggingXMLDecoder"/>
>        <param name="Port" value="2222"/>
>     </plugin>
>
> And modify that port to match what you need, and save as
> chainsaw-config-util-logging-socket.xml or something like that.
>
> Then, in Chainsaw, select File, Load Chainsaw configuration, use a
> Chainsaw config file, open file, browse to that
> chainsaw-config-util-logging-socket.xml file, and click ok.
>
> You should start seeing your events show up in the UI.
tried that with the attached file. but it just says: 56 - 2016/05/16
15:53:09 -  - INFO - org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.messages.MessageCenter -
getXMLFileAppenderConfiguration for file:
C:\Users\ray\Documents\chainsawconfig.xml, result: {}

i tried using this file with my older version (2.1) and it started the
socket, and i am seeing lots of messages! (thank you)

but the messages are not expanded, as they are in the chainsaw log tab
(there are only 3 columns: application, hostname, and
log4j.remoteSourceInfo).

is there a way to make the messages show up with the usual column
headings like the pic <https://logging.apache.org/chainsaw/> in the doc?

it says my buffer is full, is there a way to store these as files and
roll them over at some point?

doc says: *Tabs/Docking* - Chainsaw routes separate applications/remote
hosts' events to a unique Tab within the GUI. These tabs can be undocked
from the main window. Using these features you can manage multiple
application logs using the one GUI. can you point me to the doc on this?

thanks