From Ray Tayek <rta...@ca.rr.com>
Subject Re: chainsaw - socket hander - jdk util logging
Date Tue, 17 May 2016 02:43:48 GMT
On 5/16/2016 5:11 PM, Scott Deboy wrote:
> I just tried it myself with the latest developer snapshot and it worked fine.
>
> This code was used on the 'transmit' side: ...
i use similar code.
> This config file was my entire Chainsaw config (started on same
> machine of course):
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <log4j:configuration xmlns:log4j="http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/"
> debug="true">
>     <plugin name="XMLSocketReceiver"
> class="org.apache.log4j.net.XMLSocketReceiver">
>        <param name="decoder" value="org.apache.log4j.xml.UtilLoggingXMLDecoder"/>
>        <param name="Port" value="2222"/>
>     </plugin>
>     <root>
>        <level value="debug"/>
>     </root>
> </log4j:configuration>
got a bind exception, and killed the other version.

seems to work fine now. all the stuff is in it's own tab with all the
headers for the columns.

so that's a lot of progress.

will chainsaw write the log records to a file and roll it over?

i expect to receive data from a dozen or so devices.

thanks

> On 5/16/16, Ray Tayek <rtayek@ca.rr.com> wrote:
>> On 5/16/2016 2:26 PM, Scott Deboy wrote:
>>> With the latest developer snapshot from http://people.apache.org/~sdeboy
>>>
>>> See the 'Welcome' tab in Chainsaw, and click 'View example Receiver
>>> Configuration' toolbar button.
>>>
>>> Copy and paste that to a file, and remove all of the plugin entries except
>>> for:
>>>
>>>    <plugin name="XMLSocketReceiver"
>>> class="org.apache.log4j.net.XMLSocketReceiver">
>>>         <param name="decoder"
>>> value="org.apache.log4j.xml.UtilLoggingXMLDecoder"/>
>>>         <param name="Port" value="2222"/>
>>>      </plugin>
>>>
>>> And modify that port to match what you need, and save as
>>> chainsaw-config-util-logging-socket.xml or something like that.
>>>
>>> Then, in Chainsaw, select File, Load Chainsaw configuration, use a
>>> Chainsaw config file, open file, browse to that
>>> chainsaw-config-util-logging-socket.xml file, and click ok.
>>>
>>> You should start seeing your events show up in the UI.
>> tried that with the attached file. but it just says: 56 - 2016/05/16
>> 15:53:09 -  - INFO - org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.messages.MessageCenter -
>> getXMLFileAppenderConfiguration for file:
>> C:\Users\ray\Documents\chainsawconfig.xml, result: {}
>>
>> i tried using this file with my older version (2.1) and it started the
>> socket, and i am seeing lots of messages! (thank you)
>>
>> but the messages are not expanded, as they are in the chainsaw log tab
>> (there are only 3 columns: application, hostname, and
>> log4j.remoteSourceInfo).
>>
>> is there a way to make the messages show up with the usual column
>> headings like the pic <https://logging.apache.org/chainsaw/> in the doc?
>>
>> it says my buffer is full, is there a way to store these as files and
>> roll them over at some point?
>>
>> doc says: *Tabs/Docking* - Chainsaw routes separate applications/remote
>> hosts' events to a unique Tab within the GUI. These tabs can be undocked
>> from the main window. Using these features you can manage multiple
>> application logs using the one GUI. can you point me to the doc on this?
>>
>> thanks

Honesty is a very expensive gift. So, don't expect it from cheap people - Warren Buffett´╗┐
http://tayek.com/