From Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>
Subject Re: Zipped rolling file - name of file entry
Date Fri, 09 Dec 2016 16:21:00 GMT
Greg,

On 12/9/16 3:46 AM, Greg Thomas wrote:
>> So, to clarify, the file contained in the rolled over zip files (like
> "my.20.log.zip") is called "my.1.log"
>
> Correct. An error in composing my original email, apologies.

The problem is that this kind of thing was (likely) designed around
gzipping a file, which contains no structure. Adding ZIP support added a
dimension that didn't previously exist: file structure within the archive.

Re-naming a filename within a ZIP file isn't as straightforward as you
might expect[1].

How important is this as a feature/fix? Could you use gzip instead?

-chris

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/a/848053/276232