From Karen Goh <karenwo...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: Not able to get logging printout to console, email etc
Date Tue, 30 Apr 2019 13:55:25 GMT

On Tue, 4/30/19, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com> wrote:

 Subject: Re: Not able to get logging printout to console, email etc
 To: "Log4J Users List" <log4j-user@logging.apache.org>
 Date: Tuesday, April 30, 2019, 7:03 PM

 Hi Karen,

 Did you have a chance to look at Ralph’s
 answer in detail?

Hi Remko, I searched my emails including the spam folder but there is nothing from Ralp.

I would appreciate it if you could provide me with a URL if there is one.

I have now the below errors which I hope someone can tell me what I am missing in my log4j2
with slf4j set-up.

The web jar is also included in the reference library in the project.

DEBUG StatusLogger Using ShutdownCallbackRegistry class org.apache.logging.log4j.core.util.DefaultShutdownCallbackRegistry
INFO StatusLogger Log4j appears to be running in a Servlet environment, but there's no log4j-web
module available. If you want better web container support, please add the log4j-web JAR to
your web archive or server lib directory.
INFO StatusLogger Log4j appears to be running in a Servlet environment, but there's no log4j-web
module available. If you want better web container support, please add the log4j-web JAR to
your web archive or server lib directory.
DEBUG StatusLogger Took 1.553758 seconds to load 206 plugins from ParallelWebappClassLoader
  context: webApp
  delegate: false
----------> Parent Classloader:
java.net.URLClassLoader@32d992b2

DEBUG StatusLogger PluginManager 'Converter' found 44 plugins
DEBUG StatusLogger Starting OutputStreamManager SYSTEM_OUT.false.false-1
DEBUG StatusLogger Starting LoggerContext[name=4a253ef, org.apache.logging.log4j.core.LoggerContext@762cf595]...
DEBUG StatusLogger Reconfiguration started for context[name=4a253ef] at URI null (org.apache.logging.log4j.core.LoggerContext@762cf595)
with optional ClassLoader: null
INFO StatusLogger Log4j appears to be running in a Servlet environment, but there's no log4j-web
module available. If you want better web container support, please add the log4j-web JAR to
your web archive or server lib directory.
DEBUG StatusLogger PluginManager 'ConfigurationFactory' found 4 plugins
INFO StatusLogger Log4j appears to be running in a Servlet environment, but there's no log4j-web
module available. If you want better web container support, please add the log4j-web JAR to
your web archive or server lib directory.
INFO StatusLogger Log4j appears to be running in a Servlet environment, but there's no log4j-web
module available. If you want better web container support, please add the log4j-web JAR to
your web archive or server lib directory.
DEBUG StatusLogger Missing dependencies for Yaml support, ConfigurationFactory org.apache.logging.log4j.core.config.yaml.YamlConfigurationFactory
is inactive
INFO StatusLogger Log4j appears to be running in a Servlet environment, but there's no log4j-web
module available. If you want better web container support, please add the log4j-web JAR to
your web archive or server lib directory.
DEBUG StatusLogger Missing dependencies for Json support, ConfigurationFactory org.apache.logging.log4j.core.config.json.JsonConfigurationFactory
is inactive
INFO StatusLogger Log4j appears to be running in a Servlet environment, but there's no log4j-web
module available. If you want better web container support, please add the log4j-web JAR to
your web archive or server lib directory.
DEBUG StatusLogger Using configurationFactory org.apache.logging.log4j.core.config.ConfigurationFactory$Factory@5fc1428c
TRACE StatusLogger Trying to find [log4j2-test4a253ef.properties] using context class loader
ParallelWebappClassLoader
  context: webApp
  delegate: false
----------> Parent Classloader:
java.net.URLClassLoader@32d992b2
.
TRACE StatusLogger Trying to find [log4j2-test4a253ef.properties] using ParallelWebappClassLoader
  context: webApp
  delegate: false
----------> Parent Classloader:
java.net.URLClassLoader@32d992b2
 class loader.
TRACE StatusLogger Trying to find [log4j2-test4a253ef.properties] using ParallelWebappClassLoader
  context: webApp
  delegate: false
----------> Parent Classloader:
java.net.URLClassLoader@32d992b2
 class loader.
TRACE StatusLogger Trying to find [log4j2-test4a253ef.properties] using ClassLoader.getSystemResource().
TRACE StatusLogger Trying to find [log4j2-test4a253ef.yml] using context class loader ParallelWebappClassLoader
  context: webApp
  delegate: false
----------> Parent Classloader:
java.net.URLClassLoader@32d992b2
.
TRACE StatusLogger Trying to find [log4j2-test4a253ef.yml] using ParallelWebappClassLoader
  context: webApp
  delegate: false
----------> Parent Classloader:
java.net.URLClassLoader@32d992b2
 class loader.
TRACE StatusLogger Trying to find [log4j2-test4a253ef.yml] using ParallelWebappClassLoader
  context: webApp
  delegate: false
----------> Parent Classloader:
java.net.URLClassLoader@32d992b2
 class loader.
TRACE StatusLogger Trying to find [log4j2-test4a253ef.yml] using ClassLoader.getSystemResource().
TRACE StatusLogger Trying to find [log4j2-test4a253ef.yaml] using context class loader ParallelWebappClassLoader
  context: webApp
  delegate: false
----------> Parent Classloader:
java.net.URLClassLoader@32d992b2
.
TRACE StatusLogger Trying to find [log4j2-test4a253ef.yaml] using ParallelWebappClassLoader
  context: webApp
  delegate: false
----------> Parent Classloader:
java.net.URLClassLoader@32d992b2
 class loader.
TRACE StatusLogger Trying to find [log4j2-test4a253ef.yaml] using ParallelWebappClassLoader
  context: webApp
  delegate: false
----------> Parent Classloader:
java.net.URLClassLoader@32d992b2
 class loader.
TRACE StatusLogger Trying to find [log4j2-test4a253ef.yaml] using ClassLoader.getSystemResource().
TRACE StatusLogger Trying to find [log4j2-test4a253ef.json] using context class loader ParallelWebappClassLoader
  context: webApp
  delegate: false

 That
 should get you started so you can try a few things to make
 progress with the issues you’re seeing.

 (Remko

 <karenworld@yahoo.com.invalid>
 wrote:

 > Thanks
 Remko,
 > I wish everyone think like you,
 on the good side.
 > As I think my problem
 should be very straight forward to this group as I am only a
 noob in programming related staff, I will get a response
 within the time frame like other Apache group.
 > Anyway, I will wait patiently for a reply
 for now.
 > Thanks for the hel in
 advance.
 > I will be happy to contribute
 to the community in whatever way u can. For example like
 reach out to developing countries to make people more
 computer literate if I learnt the know how in log4j2.

 Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com>
 wrote:

 > Folks,
 >
 > It’s all good, no
 worries.
 > Sometimes email comes across
 different than intended, which is why we always assume good
 intentions and try to act in an empathetic fashion (https://www.apache.org/foundation/policies/conduct).

 > Enjoy!
 > ;-)
 >
 > Remko
 >

 >> On Apr 30, 2019,
 at 17:29, Karen Goh <karenworld@yahoo.com.invalid>
 wrote:

 am not sure in what way have I not been polite.
 >> Hope you can point out.
 >> I have asked that question because I
 was afraid my message did not get thru.

 Arthur Hsieh <arthur@tth.tw>
 wrote:

 >> Hi
 Karen,

 >> NO
 ONE is obliged to answer your question, rather, people do so
 out of the kindness and in the spirit of the open source
 community.  Most people who contributes to open source
 projects have days jobs and are kind enough to spend their
 personal time to in assisting others.  Please do not take
 this for granted and may I suggest being more polite in your
 requests for assistance/replies.

 >> Kind
 regards,
 >> Arthur
 >>
 >> On
 2019/4/30, 10:59, "Karen Goh" <karenworld@yahoo.com.INVALID>
 wrote:

    Hi,

 >>     I would like to know why am I
 not getting a reply for my question.

 Anyway, I would like to add that I have now changed to maven
 web app.

 >>     And here's my log4j2.xml
 file ;

 >>     <?xml version="1.0"
 encoding="UTF-8"?>

    <!DOCTYPE xml>

 >>         <Configuration
 status="DEBUG">

 <Appenders>

      <Console name="LogToConsole"
 target="SYSTEM_OUT">

                    <PatternLayout

 pattern="%d{HH:mm:ss.SSS} [%t] %-5level %logger{36} -
 %msg%n" />

      </Console>

      </Appenders>

        <Loggers>

            <!-- avoid duplicated logs with
 additivity=false -->

          <Logger name="business"
 level="debug" additivity="false">

 <AppenderRef ref="LogToConsole" />

 </Logger>

    <Root level="error">

 <AppenderRef ref="LogToConsole" />

 </Root>

 </Loggers>

 </Configuration>

 >>     I also have a
 log4j.properties file which I am not sure if I should remove
 it cos I am not sure should I just use log4j2 will do.
 Hope someone can advise me.

 >>     status = fatal
 >>     name = PropertiesConfig

 filters = threshold

 >>     filter.threshold.type =
 ThresholdFilter

 filter.threshold.level = debug

 >>     appenders = console

 appender.console.type = Console

    appender.console.name = STDOUT
 >>     appender.console.layout.type =
 PatternLayout

 appender.console.layout.pattern = %d{yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss}
 %-5p %c{1}:%L - %m%n

 >>     # Console appender. (this is
 added on 7 Mar 2019)

 log4j.appender.console=org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender

 log4j.appender.console.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout

 log4j.appender.console.layout.ConversionPattern=%d [%t] %-5p
 %c - %m%n

 >>     rootLogger.level = fatal
 >>     rootLogger.appenderRefs =
 stdout

 rootLogger.appenderRef.stdout.ref = STDOUT

 # Root logger (this is added on 7 Mar 2019)
 >>     # console will log to console
 (local tomcat) or stdout.log im Tomcat/logs
 >>     log4j.rootLogger=ALL, console
 >>

 >>     # Root logger option
 >>     log4j.rootLogger=INFO, stdout

 # Direct log messages to stdout

 log4j.appender.stdout.Target=System.out

 log4j.appender.stdout.layout.ConversionPattern=%d{yyyy-MM-dd
 HH:mm:ss} %-5p %c{1}:%L - %m%n

 >>     # Define the root logger
 with file appender

 log4j.rootLogger = fatal, sql

 >>     # Define the file
 appender

 log4j.appender.sql=org.apache.log4j.jdbc.JDBCAppender

 #log4j.appender.sql.URL="jdbc:mysql://localhost/hi5project?autoReconnect=true&ampserverTimezone=UTC&ampUseSSL=False";

 log4j.appender.sql.URL="jdbc:postgresql://localhost:5432/membership";
 >>     # Set Database Driver

 #log4j.appender.sql.driver=com.mysql.cj.jdbc.Driver

 log4j.appender.sql.driver="org.postgresql.Driver";
 >>     # Set database user name and
 password

 #log4j.appender.sql.user=root

 log4j.appender.sql.user=postgres

 #log4j.appender.sql.password=password

 log4j.appender.sql.password=travel8
 >>     # Set the SQL statement to be
 executed.
 >>     # Define the xml
 layout for file appender

 log4j.appender.sql.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout

 log4j.additivity.jdbc.sqlonly=false

 log4j.additivity.jdbc.sqltiming=false

 log4j.additivity.jdbc.audidt=false

 log4j.additivity.jdbc.resultset=false

 log4j.additivity.jdbc.connection=false

 log4j.additivity.jdbc.resultsettable=false

 ! the appender used for the JDBC API layer call logging
 above, sql only

 >>     <configuration>
 >>         <appender
 name="CONSOLE"
 class="MySQLConstants.class.ConsoleAppender">
 >>             <encoder>

 <pattern>%d{yyyy-MM-dd
 HH:mm:ss}|${HOSTNAME}|%contextName|%-5level|%msg
 ||%class:%line %n</pattern>

            </encoder>

        </appender>

    <!-- the console defaults to INFO level-->
 >>         <root
 level="INFO">

        <appender-ref ref="CONSOLE"/>
 >>         </root>
 >>     </configuration>

 com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.level = CONFIG
 >>     com.sun.mail.smtp.level =
 CONFIG
 >>     com.sun.mail.level =
 CONFIG

 com.sun.mail.util.MailLogger.level = CONFIG
 >>     javax.mail.Session.level =
 CONFIG
 >>     javax.mail.level =
 CONFIG

 Besides that, I also have added into my tomcat logging
 properties file the below lines:

 com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.level = CONFIG
 >>     com.sun.mail.smtp.level =
 CONFIG
 >>     com.sun.mail.level =
 CONFIG

 com.sun.mail.util.MailLogger.level = CONFIG
 >>     javax.mail.Session.level =
 CONFIG
 >>     javax.mail.level =
 CONFIG

 >>     And in my javamail;

 public class sendMail() {

 >>     private static final
 org.apache.logging.log4j.Logger logger =
 org.apache.logging.log4j.LogManager

 .getLogger(sendMail.class);

    private Connection conn;

      private PreparedStatement ps = null;

 public void sendEmail(String strEmail) throws
 MessagingException {

    init();

 >>             strEmail =
 findEmail();

 System.out.println("Email of registered tutor : "
 + strEmail);
 {
 >>                 Message
 message = new MimeMessage(session);

 message.setFrom(new InternetAddress("xxx@gmail.com"));

 message.addRecipient(Message.RecipientType.TO, new
 InternetAddress(strEmail));

            logger.debug(findEmail());

 logger.info("Sending verify email to {} for {}",
 findEmail());

    message.setSubject("Thank you for registering with
 us");

 message.setContent("You have successfully
 registered", "text/html; charset=utf-8");
 >>                 // Send
 message

 Transport.send(message);

          System.out.println("Mail successfully
 sent");

  } catch (MessagingException mex) {

 >>                 }
 >>         }
 >>     }
 >>

 >>     Please. I hope someone can
 help me on this.

    --- On Wed, 4/17/19, Karen Goh <karenworld@yahoo.com>
 wrote:

 >>     > From: Karen Goh <karenworld@yahoo.com>
 >>     > Subject: Not able to get
 logging printout to console, email etc
 >>     > To: log4j-user@logging.apache.org
 >>     > Date: Wednesday, April 17,
 2019, 1:44 PM
 >>     > Hi,
 >>     >
 >>
    > I have been trying to make netbeans IDE
 >>     > to churn out a log to see
 what's causing the error in my web
 >>     > app.
 >>     >
 >>
    > Tomcat : 8.0.27
 >>     >
 OS : Windows 10
 >>     >
 >>     > I have created the
 following
 >>     >
 log4j.properties which I put under WEB-INF
 >>     >
 >>

 >>     > # To change
 this license header, choose

 > License Headers in Project Properties.
 >>     > # To change this template
 file, choose
 >>     > Tools |
 Templates
 >>     > # and open the
 template in the editor.
 >>     >
 # Root logger option
 >>     >
 log4j.rootLogger=INFO, stdout, Email,
 >>     > DB
 >>     >
 >>
    > # Direct log messages to stdout
 >>     >
 >>     >
 log4j.appender.stdout.Target=System.out
 >>     >
 >>     >
 log4j.appender.stdout.layout.ConversionPattern=%d{yyyy-MM-dd
 >>     > HH:mm:ss} %-5p %c{1}:%L -
 %m%n
 >>     >
 log4j.appender.console.immediateFlush=true
 >>     >
 log4j.appender.console.encoding=UTF-8
 >>     >
 >>

 >>     >
 log4j.appender.Email=org.apache.log4j.net.SMTPAppender
 >>     >
 log4j.appender.Email.BufferSize=512
 >>     >
 log4j.appender.Email.Threshold=ERROR
 >>     >
 log4j.appender.Email.SMTPHost=smtp.gmail.com
 log4j.appender.Email.SMTPUsername=xxx@gmail.com
 >>     >
 log4j.appender.Email.SMTPPassword=xxx
 xxx@gmail.com
 >>     > log4j.appender.Email.To=karenworld@yahoo.com
 >>     >
 log4j.appender.Email.Subject=Error
 >>     > Report
 >>     >
 log4j.appender.Email.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
 >>     >
 log4j.appender.Email.layout.ConversionPattern=%d
 >>     > [%t] %-5p %c %x - %m%n
 >>     >
 >>

 >>     >
 log4j.rootCategory=DEBUG
 >>     >

 >>     >
 >>     >
 log4j.appender.DB=org.apache.log4j.jdbc.JDBCAppender
 >>     >
 >>
    > log4j.appender.DB.driver=org.postgresql.Driver
 >>     >
 log4j.appender.DB.URL="jdbc:postgresql://localhost:5432/membership"
 >>     >
 >>
    > log4j.appender.DB.user=membership
 >>     >
 log4j.appender.DB.password=travel8
 >>     >
 log4j.appender.DB.sql=INSERT INTO

    > log4j_messages (message, class, priority, log_date)
 values
 >>     > ('%m',
 '%c', '%p', to_timestamp('%d',
 'YYYY-MM-DD
 >>     >
 HH24:MI:SS,MS'))
 >>     >
 >>     >
 >>
    > But, it is not printing out anything to
 >>     > the console.
 >>     >
 >>
    > And the last tomcat log keeps giving
 >>     > something that was done
 earlier:
 >>     >
 >>     > 17-Apr-2019 11:10:34.677
 SEVERE
 >>     >
 [http-nio-8084-exec-17]
 >>     >
 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke
 >>     > Servlet.service() for
 servlet [ProcessRegistration] in

    > context with path [/WebApplication1] threw
 exception
 >>     > [Servlet
 execution threw an exception] with root cause
 >>     >
 java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:

    > org.slf4j.Logger
 >>

 >>     > Here are the
 libraries I have used:
 >>     >

 >>     >
 log4j-core-2.11.2.jar
 >>     >
 lo4j-to-slf4j-2.11.2.jar
 >>     >
 log4j-web-2.11.2.jar
 >>     >
 log4j-api-2.11.2.jar
 >>     >
 slf4j-api-1.7.25.jar
 >>     >
 >>     >
 >>
    > <?xml version="1.0"
 >>     >
 encoding="UTF-8"?>

    > <!--
 change this license header, choose
 >>     > License Headers in Project
 Properties.
 >>     > To change
 this template file, choose

 > Tools | Templates
 >>     >
 and open the template in the editor.
 >>     > -->
 >>     >
 >>
    > <configuration status="trace">
 >>     >  <appenders>
 >>     >    <Console
 >>     > name="Console"
 target="SYSTEM_OUT">

    >      <PatternLayout
 >>     > pattern="%d{HH:mm:ss}
 [%t] %-5level %logger{36} -

 > %msg%n"/>
 >>     >
   </Console>
 >>     >
 </appenders>
 >>     >
 >>     >  <loggers>
 >>     >    <root
 >>     >
 level="trace">

 >      <appender-ref
 >>
 > ref="console" level="trace"
 additivity="true"/>

    >    </root>
 >>
 >  </loggers>
 >>     >
 </configuration>
 >>     >

 >>     > Any help that point out
 where I have
 >>     > gone wrong
 is greatly appreciated
 >>     >

 >>     > Tks & rgds,
 >>     > Karen
 >>     >

 >>     For additional commands, e-mail:
 log4j-user-help@logging.apache.org

 B�KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKCB��[��X��ܚX�KK[XZ[����]\�\�][��X��ܚX�P���[�˘\X�K�ܙ�B��܈Y][ۘ[��[X[��K[XZ[����]\�\�Z[���[�˘\X�K�ܙ�B�