From Alban Hertroys <alban.hertr...@apollovredestein.com>
Subject Betr: Re: JDBCAppender fails to pass connection URL string
Date Fri, 13 Dec 2019 13:48:54 GMT
"Gary Gregory" <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote on 2019-12-12 21:54:27:

> The more:
>
> https://github.com/apache/logging-log4j2/tree/release-2.x/log4j-
> core/src/test/resources/org/apache/logging/log4j/core/appender/db/jdbc
>
> Gary

Thanks for the examples, much appreciated. It confirmed that I was
probably doing things correctly on the log4j front, at least.

As it turns out, the problem was with Tomcat's documentation about how to
set up a JNDI connection. They refer to a META-INF/context.xml file in the
web-app directory, but in our case the context files are located in the
${CATALINA_OUT}/conf/Catalina/localhost directory and point to the
locations where the web-app files can be found. Placing the <Resource
.../> there got us rid of the error about the empty jdbc URL and driver
name, at least.

I'm almost there. I can select from the database with a slightly expanded
variation on my previous Java class, so we are able to connect at least -
now to figure out why the actual webapp is not logging anything...

Should be easy enough to add a log4j JDBCAppender for my test-webapp.

<ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I just looked at the JDBC unit tests and surprisingly didn’t see any
that
> >> use a configuration file.
> >>

> > Here is a 'fancy' example (the kind of stuff I use at work):
> >

> > https://github.com/apache/logging-log4j2/blob/release-2.x/log4j-
> jdbc-dbcp2/src/test/resources/log4j2-jdbc-dbcp2.xml
> >
> > Here are some more:
> >
> > ;-)
> >
> > Gary

This is what now remains of the configuration.

${CATALINA_OUT}/conf/Catalina/localhost/mywebapp_context.xml

jndiName="java:/comp/env/jdbc/loggingtst"/>

Alban  Hertroys
D: +31 (0)53 4 888 888  | T: +31 (0)53 4888 888 | E: alban.hertroys@apollovredestein.com
Apollo Vredestein B.V.| Ir. E.L.C. Schiffstraat 370, 7547 RD Enschede, The
Netherlands
Chamber of Commerce number: 34223268

The information contained in this e-mail is intended solely for the use of the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution
or action in relation to the contents of this information is strictly
prohibited and may be unlawful and request you to delete this message and any
attachments and advise the sender by return e-mail. The confidentiality of this
message is not warranted. Apollo Vredestein and its subsidiaries rule out any
and every liability resulting from this or any other electronic transmission