From Dominik Psenner <dpsen...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Rolling File Operation : Failing with Source does not exist
Date Thu, 09 Mar 2017 09:27:39 GMT
Hi!

Apologies, I've completely lost track of your question.

The preserveLogFileNameExtension := true should not cause any race
condition, because the mutex lock introduced in 1.2.15 completely
surrounds the method RollingFileAppender.AdjustFileBeforeAppend().
Further, given that it is a Mutex, it synchronizes both Threads and
Processes that run on the same operating system. However, I've no idea
whether preserveLogFileNameExtension := True breaks the detection of
existing rolled files and maybe that is the actual source of your issue.

Please note that Stefan Bodewig and I agree that the existing
RollingFileAppender implementation is broken in too many ways to fix it.
Patching it further could finally break the few things it does well and
therefore we avoid to patch it any further. We have plans to rewrite the
RollingFileAppender from scratch [1] and the work I've done so far dates
back to the late 2011 [2]. This is the thing we would like to tackle as
soon as possible. The problem is that we lack the manpower to complete
the job anytime soon. If you or your team would like to pick up the work
and finish it, we would gladly assist you with all that we can do.

Cheers,
Dominik

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4NET-367
[2]