lucene-dev mailing list archives

From karl wettin <ka...@snigel.net>
Subject Re: Character encoding per index.
Date Mon, 12 Dec 2005 18:04:40 GMT

12 dec 2005 kl. 16.40 skrev karl wettin:

> Hello list,
>
> I'm looking for a way to change character encoding per index. It
> feels silly to store chinese characters in 3 bytes using UTF-8 when
> it is possible to do it with 2 bytes using UTF-16. By just hacking
> the IndexInput and IndexOutput I quick and dirty got it all running
> in UTF-16, but this is not good enough since I have other indexes
> that is more optimized when encoded in UTF-8.
>
> The character encoding of Lucene today is quite static. In order to
> select encoding it seems to me I have to do some major refactoring
> to the project, passing a character codec from my analyzer (or
> perhaps IndexWriter/Reader) all the way down to the IndexInput/
> Output via TermVector/Info, et.c.
>
> Can someone think of a better way to set character encoding per
> index? Or perhaps some other thought?

My current thought is to extend Directory
(CharacterEncodingAwareDirectory or so) and all implementations of it
to intercept the create/openFile methods and add a character encoding
strategy to the IndexInput/Output.

Is there a reason for the write/readCharacters in IndexInput/Output
to be final?

--
karl