lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "David Freireich" <dav...@coresearchinc.com>
Subject RE: A Database as a Lucene Index Target
Date Wed, 11 Jan 2006 16:19:36 GMT

www.coresearchinc.com

-----Original Message-----
From: amir.kibbar@gmail.com [mailto:amir.kibbar@gmail.com] On Behalf Of
Amir Kibbar
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 10:44 AM
To: java-dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: A Database as a Lucene Index Target

Hi,

I hope that this mailing list is the right place for things like that,
if not I apologize in advance.

I've written an extension for the Directory object called DBDirectory,
that allows you to read and write a Lucene index to a database instead
of a file system.

This is done using blobs. Each blob represents a "file". Also, each blob
has a name which is equivalent to the filename and a prefix, which is
equivalent to a directory on a file system. This allows you to create
multiple Lucene indexes in a single database schema.

The solution uses two tables:
LUCENE_INDEX - which holds the index files as blobs
LUCENE_LOCK - holds the different locks

Attached is my proposed solution. This solution is still very basic, but
it does the job.
The solution supports Oracle and mysql

To use this solution:

1. Place the files:
- DBDirectory in src/java/org/apache/lucene/store
- TestDBIndex in src/test/org/apache/lucene/index
- objects-mysql.sql in src/db
- objects-oracle.sql in src/db

2. Edit the parameters for the database connection in TestDBIndex

3. Create the database tables using the objects-mysql.sql script
(assuming you're using mysql)

4. Build Lucene

5. Run TestDBIndex with the database driver in the classpath

I've tested the solution on mysql, but it *should* work on Oracle, I
will test that in a few days.

Please let me know if you think it is useful.

Amir