lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "James" <ja...@ryley.com>
Subject Improvements for RemoteSearchabel and ParallelMultiSearcher
Date Fri, 13 Jan 2006 06:09:36 GMT
Has anyone seen this? http://hellonline.com/blog/?p=55.

The really relevant quotes about RemoteSearchable and ParallelMultiSearcher
are:

1.	This setup is not very robust. When a search slave fa ils, it is
pretty much impossible to get ParallelMultiSearcher to let you know which
slave failed. This makes recovery difficult or at least inefficient.
2.	Hits objects use caching to improve performance. This means that one
must maintain a <http://java2.5341.com/msg/43566.html>  connection to an
open IndexReader if one wants to access the contents of a Hits object. This
can be very wasteful over RPC and tends to break very easily especially in a
system which has to reload indexes often.

I don't have experience with these methods, but I am getting ready to use
them, and if Eran is correct about the frailties of Lucene here, this code
(or something like it) would be great to add to upcoming versions of Lucene.
I've asked him for an update on whether or not he can donate the code, but I
was wondering if anyone else has done something like this, or whether anyone
knows if such improvements are planned for future versions of Lucene.

Thanks,

James