lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Payloads
Date Thu, 18 Jan 2007 16:59:06 GMT
I agree (and this has been discussed on this very thread in the past,
see Doug's comments).  I would love to have someone take a look at
the flexible indexing patch that was submitted (I have looked a
little at it, but it is going to need more than just me since it is a
big change, although it is b. compatible, I believe.  It needs to be
benchmarked, tested in threads, etc. so it may be a while to get to
the Flex. format.   Thus, it _may_ make sense to put in payloads
first and mark them as "developer beware" in the comments and let
them be tested in the real world.

I think one thing that would really bolster the flex. indexing format
changes would be to have someone write another implementation for it
so that we can iron out any interface details that may be needed.
For instance, maybe the Kino merge model?

-Grant

On Jan 18, 2007, at 11:45 AM, Marvin Humphrey wrote:

> On Jan 18, 2007, at 8:31 AM, Michael Busch wrote:
>
>> I think it makes sense to add new functions incrementally, as long
>> as we try to only extend the API in a way, so that it is
>> compatible with the long-term goal, as Doug suggested already.
>> After the payload patch is committed we can work on a more
>> sophisticated per-doc-metadata solution. Until then we can use
>> payloads for that use case.
>
> I respectfully disagree with this plan.
>
> APIs are forever, implementations are ephemeral.
>
> By making a public API available for one aspect of the flexible
> indexing format, we limit our ability to change our minds about how
> that API should look later when we discover a more harmonious
> solution.
>
> If we're going to go the incremental route, IMO any API should be
> marked as experimental, or better, made private so that we can toy
> with it "in-house" on Lucene's innards, auditioning the changes
> before finalizing the API.
>
> Marvin Humphrey
> Rectangular Research
> http://www.rectangular.com/