lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Payloads
Date Thu, 18 Jan 2007 16:52:19 GMT
Couldn't agree more.  This is good progress.

I like the payloads patch, but I would like to see the lazy prox
stream (Lucene 761) stuff done (or at least details given on it) so
that we can hook this into Similarity so that it can be hooked into
scoring.  For 761 and the payload stuff, we need to make sure we do
some benchmarking tests (see Doron's latest contribution under
contrib/Benchmark for some cool tools to help w/ benchmarking)

If you can do 761, I can then merge the two and then I can put up a
patch for review that hooks in the scoring/Similarity idea that I
_think_ will work and will allow a payload scoring factor to be
calculated into the TermScorer and will be backward compatible and
would allow people to score payloads w/o having to change very much.

-Grant

On Jan 18, 2007, at 11:31 AM, Michael Busch wrote:

> Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>> Just to put in two cents: the Flexible Indexing thread has also
>> talked about the notion of being able to store arbitrary data at:
>> token, field, doc and Index level.
>>
>> -Grant
>>

> Yes I agree that this should be the long-term goal. The payload
> feature is just a first step in the direction of a flexible index
> format. I think it makes sense to add new functions incrementally,
> as long as we try to only extend the API in a way, so that it is
> compatible with the long-term goal, as Doug suggested already.
> After the payload patch is committed we can work on a more
> sophisticated per-doc-metadata solution. Until then we can use
> payloads for that use case. Flexible indexing is very complex and
> progress is progress... :-)

Grant Ingersoll
Center for Natural Language Processing
http://www.cnlp.org