lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Busch <busch...@gmail.com>
Subject Question about aborting background merges
Date Mon, 03 Dec 2007 07:47:47 GMT
Hi,

I have a question about IndexWriter.close(false) and background merges.
I was going to take a look at the code, but I'm sure that Mike knows the
answer :-). Let's assume that a long background merge is going on and
close(false) is called. Then the merges are marked as aborted and
IndexWriter.close() returns after flushing DocumentsWriter's buffers.
The background merge threads keep going. Now a new IndexWriter is opened
and optimize() is called. Can it happen that optimize() tries to create
a segment with the same name the background threads are still working
on? Then the new IndexWriter would probably hit an IOException? Or would
the new IndexWriter use different file names for the merged segments?

-Michael