lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: setRAMBufferSizeMB and DEFAULT_RAM_BUFFER_SIZE_MB missing from IndexWriter !
Date Mon, 03 Dec 2007 18:40:28 GMT

On Dec 3, 2007, at 1:31 PM, Doug Cutting wrote:

> Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>> Right, the javadocs are for the nightly build.   See the Site
>> Versions section of http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/index.html
>> for releases.
>
> Unreleased stuff should only be linked to in a "developer" section
> of the website.  Right now the primary javadoc links on the website
> are to unreleased documentation.  We should fix this.
>
> Unreleased versions of software and documentation are not meant to
> be published under the Apache license.  This permits us a review of
> what's released, so that if something were to enter subversion that
> should not be released, we have an opportunity to remove it.  Thus
> we must maintain a clear line between what we expect the general
> public to download and view under the license, and the draft
> versions that we, the developer community, share amongst ourselves.
> Publishing unreleased things in a way that could be perceived as an
> official publication for end-users could weaken our control of what
> is licensed.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/lucene/java-dev/42616?search_string=javadocs%20nightly%20build

  contains the discussion on this from way back when.  I think we
pretty clearly mark the javadocs as being nightly build, but I suppose
we could make the Documentation->Javadoc link explicitly say it,
something like Javadoc Nightly Build.  Otherwise, we could replace the
link there with a page that provides links to the various released
versions and the nightly build.

-Grant