lucene-dev mailing list archives

From robert engels <reng...@ix.netcom.com>
Subject Re: Back Compatibility
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2008 03:18:26 GMT
A specific example:

You have a criminal justice system that indexes past court cases.

You do a search for cases involving Joe Smith because you are a judge
and you want to review priors before sentencing. Similar issues with
related cases, case history, etc.

Is it better to return something that may not be correct, or return
an error saying the index is offline and is being rebuilt - please
perform your search later?  In this case old false positives are just
as bad as missing new records. I hope that demonstrates the position
clearly.

As I stated, there are several classes of applications where "any
data" whether it is current or valid is acceptable, but I would argue
that in MOST cases this is not the case, and if the interested
subjects fully reviewed their requirements they would not accept that
solution. It is easily summarized with the old adage "garbage in,
garbage out".

The only reason that corruption is ok is that you need to reindex
anyway, and rebuilding from scratch is often faster than determining
the affected documents and updating (especially if corruption is a
possibility).

It was in fact me that brought about the issue that none of the
"lockless commits" code fixed anything related to corruption.  The
only way to ensure non-corruption is to sync all data files, then
write and sync the segments file.  I think this change could have
been accomplished in about 10 lines of code, and is completely
independent of lockless commits, and in most cases makes lockless
commits obsolete.  But to be honest, I am not really certain how
lockless commits can actually work in an environment that allows
updates to the documents (and or related resources), so I am sure
there are aspects I am just ignorant of.

As an aside, we engineered our software years ago to work around
these issues, which why we still use a 1.9 derivative, and monitor
the trunk for important fixes an enhancements.