lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Steven A Rowe" <sar...@syr.edu>
Subject RE: Lucene 2.3 RC 1 available for testing
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2008 16:01:58 GMT
On 01/08/2008 at 2:36 AM, Uwe Schindler wrote:
> As the specification (*the API*) of Lucene 2.3 is final, there should
> stand 2.3.  The Implementation version may contain "-dev" or "-rxX",
> which is legal.
>
> This will not be a problem of the release version, but it should be
> correctly set (according to specs) in pre-releases, too, to
> enable customers to replace the Lucene by newer non-release versions.

I think this sounds reasonable - the Implementation-Version can have the X.X.X-rcX syntax
(or any other the project chooses), but the Specification-Version should stick to the Java-specified
syntax: X ( '.' X )*

On 01/08/2008 at 9:10 AM, Uwe Schindler wrote:
> Lucene's manifest was always correct, only in the last release
> candidate, the incorrect version string is returned for the
> Specification-Version

Actually, it appears that at least one previous release candidate (1.9-rc1 - retrieved from
<http://www.apache.org/dist/lucene/java/archive/lucene-1.9-rc1.zip> - lucene-core-1.9-rc1.jar)
used the same syntax:

    Manifest-Version: 1.0
    Ant-Version: Apache Ant 1.6.5
    Created-By: Apache Jakarta
    Name: org/apache/lucene/
    Specification-Title: Lucene Search Engine
    Specification-Version: 1.9-rc1
    Specification-Vendor: Lucene
    Implementation-Title: org.apache.lucene
    Implementation-Version: build 2006-02-20
    Implementation-Vendor: Lucene

Nevertheless, I think Uwe is right - the Specification-Version should follow the Java language
Package specification.  Here is the 1.4.2 link (appears to be the same as the 1.5.0 page to
which Uwe's link referred):

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/lang/Package.html

Steve