lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Steven A Rowe" <sar...@syr.edu>
Subject RE: Back Compatibility
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2008 22:29:40 GMT
Hi robert,

On 01/23/2008 at 4:55 PM, robert engels wrote:
> If the users are "just dropping in a new version" they are not
> contributing to the community... I think just the opposite, they are
> parasites.

I reject your characterization of passive users as "parasites"; I suspect that you intend
your casual use of this highly prejudicial term to license wholesale abandonment of them as
a valid constituency.

In my estimation, nearly every active contributor to open source projects, including Lucene,
was once a passive user.  If you discourage that pipeline, you cut off the supply of fresh
perspectives and future contributions.  Please, let's not do that.

Steve