lucene-dev mailing list archives

From robert engels <reng...@ix.netcom.com>
Subject Re: Back Compatibility
Date Fri, 18 Jan 2008 07:16:10 GMT
That wasn't what I was thinking. They would use lucene23.jar if they
wanted the 2.3 API.  Newer code uses the lucene30.jar for the 3.0 API.

The others could continue to back-port 3.0 features to 2.3.X if they
wished (and could do so without changing the API - private changes
only).

I think you can look at the Oracle JDBC drivers as an example. They
warn that a API is going away in the next release, then it is gone.
Yet the new drivers may perform much better (not to mention fix a lot
of bugs). If you weren't using the old features you can easily move
to the new jar, if not, you need to change your code. Granted, it is
much better now, since they no longer have many needed proprietary
features, and rely mostly on the JDBC specification. They often
release newer versions of earlier releases when critical bugs have
been fixed.

JDBC is another good example. JDBC 3.0 requires Java 5. You cannot
use JDBC 3.0 features without it. Because of this, many of the db
vendors latest drivers are Java 5 only, and you need to use a
previous release if running under 1.4.