lucene-dev mailing list archives

From robert engels <reng...@ix.netcom.com>
Subject Re: Back Compatibility
Date Tue, 22 Jan 2008 20:59:54 GMT
One more example on this. A lot of work was done on transaction
support. I would argue that this falls way short of what is needed,
since there is no XA transaction support. Since the lucene index
(unless stored in an XA db) is a separate resource, it really needs
XA support in order to be consistent with the other resources.

All of the transaction work that has been performed only guarantees
that barring a physical hardware failure the lucene index can be
opened and used at a known state.  This index though is probably not
consistent with the other resources.

All that was done is that we can now guarantee that the index is
consistent at SOME point in time.

Given the work that was done, we are probably closer to adding XA
support, but I think this would be much easier if the concept of a
transaction was made first class through the API (and then XA
transactions need to be supported).