lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Busch <busch...@gmail.com>
Subject [VOTE] Relax backwards-compatibility policy for package-protected APIs
Date Tue, 21 Oct 2008 21:45:28 GMT
Currently Lucene's backwards compatibility policy states: "That's to
say, any code developed against X.0 should continue to run without
alteration against all X.N releases." In LUCENE-1422 the question came
up if this statement should apply to public and protected APIs only or
also to package-private APIs.

I'm proposing to exempt the package-private APIs from this strict
backwards compatibility rule and declare it as "expert methods". Though,
only deprecated package-private methods are allowed to be removed. This
means that at least one X.Y-> X.Y+1 or X.Y->X+1.0 release must be
shipped in which the APIs are marked as deprecated to give the users the
chance to remove dependencies on these methods. If this vote passes we
will add appropriate information to CHANGES.txt and the next release
announcement.

Here is my +1.

-Michael