lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Filesystem based bitset
Date Sat, 10 Jan 2009 13:53:23 GMT

On Jan 9, 2009, at 8:06 PM, robert engels wrote:

> Luckily there are entrepreneurs and other managers/owners that value
> quality first, and let feelings get repaired over beers or not at all.

Sure, but let me ask you, do you like working with those people who
are jerks all the time?  AFAICT, Lucene has done a pretty good job of
creating something of quality AND doing it in a civil, respectful way,
otherwise I just don't think we would still all be here.  Why can't we
have both?  You talk like the only way it is possible to achieve
something is by stepping on others.

I would suggest everyone involved remove feelings from all of this and
just focus on discussing the pros and cons of the subject at hand
without the need to insult each other anytime you disagree.  In the
end, all involved would likely do better simply by showing their ideas
out in code, i.e. _real_ patches.

> Your approach is exactly what destroyed the Columbia and their lives
> - politics over substance.

Please don't compare what we do in a mission non-critical open source
project for searching files, databases and other minutiae with the
massive tragedy that was Columbia.  They are not even close to being
on the same level and it is so completely disrespectful to those that
lost their lives in that tragedy.

-Grant