lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: stored fields / unicode compression
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2009 01:26:26 GMT

Catching up on my holiday email, I on't think there were any replies to
this question yet.

The low level file formats used by Lucene is an area I don't have
time/expertise to follow carefully, but if i'm remember correctly the
concensus is/was to more more towards pure (byte[] data, int start, int
end) based APIs for efficiency, with "String" based APIs provided as
syntactic sugar via a facade, and deprecating the existing "internal" gzip
compression in favor of similar "external" compression facades.  So
something like you describe could be done as is using the byte[]
interfaces *and* be generally useful to others.

Taking a step back to look at the broader picture, this is the kind of
thing that in Solr could be implemented as a new FieldType