lucene-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: TestUTF32ToUTF8.testRandomRegexes fails
Date Mon, 26 Jul 2010 15:50:31 GMT
That's VERY spooky that w/ a fixed seed you see different random
regexps being made.

Mike

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 11:40 AM, Shai Erera <serera@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok I've dug deeper into the test. I set the random seed to
> -9029631602016965389L in setUp(), and discovered that on the 4th iteration
> it breaks. For some reason though, AutomatonTestUtil.randomRegex generates
> different strings every time I run the test, even though it uses the same
> Random object w/ the same seed ...
>
> Anyway, one of the regex that failed was this "l.E" (w/o the quotes) and I
> think it's a lowercase L, '.' (dot) and 'E' (uppercase). Hope this helps.
>
> Shai
>
> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 6:23 PM, Robert Muir <rcmuir@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> sounds nasty... its good you are running the tests with this different
>> jvm...
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 11:21 AM, Shai Erera <serera@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Tried to run it w/ SUN JRE6 and it succeeds ! I've tried several times
>>> and it succeeds every time. However, when I revert back to IBM's, it fail
>>> immediately.
>>>
>>> I can help w/ the debug, if you give me a hint where to look :).
>>>
>>> Shai
>>>
>>> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 5:57 PM, Shai Erera <serera@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Sorry for the delayed response.
>>>>
>>>> I ran it a couple more times, from Eclipse and Ant, and each time it
>>>> fails (amazing !), w/ different seeds. More seeds that fail:
>>>> NOTE: random seed of testcase 'testRandomRegexes' was:
>>>> -4244174191361080127
>>>> NOTE: random seed of testcase 'testRandomRegexes' was:
>>>> -7059086272401721644
>>>> NOTE: random seed of testcase 'testRandomRegexes' was:
>>>> -1314734215611104147
>>>>
>>>> I use IBM JVM, tried w/ both 1.5 and 1.6 ...
>>>>
>>>> Mike, can we use LUCENE-2565 to track this, or would you prefer that I
>>>> open a separate one?
>>>>
>>>> Shai
>>>>
>>>> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 3:26 PM, Michael McCandless
>>>> <lucene@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> On a more general note...
>>>>>
>>>>> Any time any of you out there hit an "odd" test failure, please please
>>>>> please do just what Shai did: take it to the dev list!
>>>>>
>>>>> Think of Lucene's unit tests like SETI :)  We are desperately seeking
>>>>> bugs, and you and your machine may just be lucky enough to find one...
>>>>> go forth and buy expensive new power hungry computers just so you can
>>>>> run the random tests over and over, seeking the bugs!
>>>>>
>>>>> But be sure to include that random seed when you do hit a failure...
>>>>>
>>>>> Mike
>>>>>
>>>>> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 8:23 AM, Robert Muir <rcmuir@gmail.com>
wrote:
>>>>> > I agree, Shai can you open a bug? I cannot reproduce, did you use
an
>>>>> > IBM JVM
>>>>> > or another environment that might help us figure it out?
>>>>> >
>>>>> > On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 6:29 AM, Michael McCandless
>>>>> > <lucene@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
>>>>> >>
>>>>> >> Hmmm this means a bug is lurking.  This is the power of random
>>>>> >> testing
>>>>> >> (that every time we all run tests, we're testing different "paths"
>>>>> >> through the code)....
>>>>> >>
>>>>> >> It seems exceptionally unlikely that LUCENE-2537's changes would
>>>>> >> cause
>>>>> >> this!
>>>>> >>
>>>>> >> But, unfortunately, when I plug that seed in I don't see it
fail,
>>>>> >> which is odd.  I'll run a stress test to see if I can tickle
the
>>>>> >> bug... can you open a Jira issue so we don't lose track?
>>>>> >>
>>>>> >> Mike
>>>>> >>
>>>>> >> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 2:57 AM, Shai Erera <serera@gmail.com>
>>>>> >> wrote:
>>>>> >> > Hi
>>>>> >> >
>>>>> >> > I was running tests on trunk (after merging the changes
from
>>>>> >> > LUCENE-2537)
>>>>> >> > and received this error message:
>>>>> >> >
>>>>> >> > expected:<true> but was:<false>
>>>>> >> >
>>>>> >> > junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: expected: but was:
>>>>> >> > at
>>>>> >> >
>>>>> >> >
>>>>> >> > org.apache.lucene.util.automaton.TestUTF32ToUTF8.assertAutomaton(TestUTF32ToUTF8.java:197)
>>>>> >> > at
>>>>> >> >
>>>>> >> >
>>>>> >> > org.apache.lucene.util.automaton.TestUTF32ToUTF8.testRandomRegexes(TestUTF32ToUTF8.java:170)
>>>>> >> > at
>>>>> >> >
>>>>> >> > org.apache.lucene.util.LuceneTestCase.runBare(LuceneTestCase.java:285)
>>>>> >> >
>>>>> >> > NOTE: random seed of testcase 'testRandomRegexes' was:
>>>>> >> > 3510820306304573866
>>>>> >> >
>>>>> >> > I'm sure it's related to my changes. Has anyone else seen
this
>>>>> >> > before?
>>>>> >> >
>>>>> >> > Shai
>>>>> >> >
>>>>> >>
>>>>> >>
>>>>> >> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>> >> To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@lucene.apache.org
>>>>> >> For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@lucene.apache.org
>>>>> >>
>>>>> >
>>>>> >
>>>>> >
>>>>> > --
>>>>> > Robert Muir
>>>>> > rcmuir@gmail.com
>>>>> >
>>>>>
>>>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@lucene.apache.org
>>>>> For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@lucene.apache.org
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Robert Muir
>> rcmuir@gmail.com
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@lucene.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@lucene.apache.org


Mime
View raw message