lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Let's drop Maven Artifacts !
Date Tue, 18 Jan 2011 19:45:55 GMT

On Jan 18, 2011, at 2:37 PM, Steven A Rowe wrote:

> On 1/18/2011 at 1:45 PM, Mark Miller wrote:
>> At some point, Grant or someone put in some Maven poms. I don't think
>> anyone else really paid attention. Later, as we did releases, and saw and
>> dealt with these poms, most of us commented against Maven support. It just
>> feels to me like it slipped in - and really its the type of thing that
>> should have been more discussed and thought out, and perhaps voted upon.
>> Maven snuck into Lucene IMO.
>
> Lucene's policy is commit-then-review, and lazy consensus is the rule, right?

Right - clearly this is not some sneaky or underhanded thing that happened. Certainly this
is how a lot of legit things happen.

The only reason I feel it was more of a Maven sneaking in thing is that in IRC I have learned
how many active core devs really didn't want Maven in the build at a later time. I think we
just didn't really know what was happening / paid attention. I don't mean to characterize
incorrectly. If you asked me back then, I prob would not have understood the consequences
whatsoever and said, please go ahead! Patches welcome.

People's opinions have shifted though - we have more committers now - perhaps the Maven support
side is larger than the against now.

Just stating things as I roughly knew them - happy to see things cleared up, fined tuned.

- Mark